Aprilia SR50 opinions?

Modern Scoots from Vespa, Lambretta, Piaggio, Aprilia and Derbi
willowglenn
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Aprilia SR50 opinions?

Post by willowglenn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:31 am

Hi All.
I'm in love with 2-stroke 50cc sports scooters.
I currently have two Peugeot Speedfights, but one will probably be sold this weekend.
The Speedfight is a great scoot, but I'd love 10km/h more (they top out at 75/80 km/h).
I've done a fair bit of research on the direct-injected SR-50, but get wildly differing opinions about it's reliability.
I've read so many posts about people retro-fitting a carb to one with a dead injection system.
It's really hard to tell what to think.
I'd love to hear from any former owners about their experience, or from anyone that has a seasoned opinion after being around scooters for a longer time.
I can't decide whether to look for a used one...
Thanks,
Glenn in Halifax

Minione
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Aprilia SR50 opinions?

Post by Minione » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi Greg,

i have a 2013 Aprilia SR50 DiTech - love it!
I've owned 49cc scooters on and off since I was 16, I'm 48 now, the SR50 is by far one of the fun Scooters I've ever owned. Plenty of forums out there for you to join; any questions; parts; information, etc, etc.. It is a Scooter with a cult following, almost.. LOL

Mine has 5,000 kms on it. Its tricked out a but which helped give it a few extra HP. I started with the Air Filter going to A Mollassi sponge. I use only the NGK Spark Plug option(forget the model). I changed the stock Variator for a Sport Variator from Mollassi. Replaced the drive belt with Kevlar Drive Belt from Mollassi. Torssion Spring and Stock Clutch replaced with a Sport Clutch, also from Mollassi. I haved played around with the ECU although from what I've read; Piaggo have designed the SR50 engine to safely rev up to 11,000 RPM, mine tops out at 9,500. Of course a few after market tuning houses are selling the 70cc and 95cc BiG Bore Kits.. I suppose the SR's would fly with those cylender kits. That said, I removed the rear fender on mine, looks a bit more sporty with out, purchased a PIAA low beam as well.

This to say; I am an adult man, i use it as commute bike, with nap sack; helmet and jacket I'm close to 200lbs on it and it does 80 to 85kms/h on the flats, I have gone over 90kms/h on occasion.

I think you would like it. Good Luck!!!

John
Montreal, Quebec

willowglenn
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by willowglenn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Great info John.
Thanks.

Doyle911
n00b
n00b

Post by Doyle911 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:03 am

Minione wrote:Hi Greg,
I haved played around with the ECU although from what I've read; Piaggo have designed the SR50 engine to safely rev up to 11,000 RPM, mine tops out at 9,500.
John, I believe with your year, 2013 you can do an ECU mod with the Gameboy. Change it from Standard Mode to Development Mode. It should give you a .6 HP increase.

You spoke about the variator, so I assume you removed the restrictor ring. You should also have a restrictor plate on your intake manifold if you have not removed it already.

KylieJenner
n00b
n00b

Post by KylieJenner » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:12 am

John just gave you a nice and useful info, why don't you try Django LoL it is faster as hell :D i sometimes love to travel on it when i don't feel like to on Peugeot boxer.