It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Aprilia SR50 opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:31 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hi All.
I'm in love with 2-stroke 50cc sports scooters.
I currently have two Peugeot Speedfights, but one will probably be sold this weekend.
The Speedfight is a great scoot, but I'd love 10km/h more (they top out at 75/80 km/h).
I've done a fair bit of research on the direct-injected SR-50, but get wildly differing opinions about it's reliability.
I've read so many posts about people retro-fitting a carb to one with a dead injection system.
It's really hard to tell what to think.
I'd love to hear from any former owners about their experience, or from anyone that has a seasoned opinion after being around scooters for a longer time.
I can't decide whether to look for a used one...
Thanks,
Glenn in Halifax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hi Greg,

i have a 2013 Aprilia SR50 DiTech - love it!
I've owned 49cc scooters on and off since I was 16, I'm 48 now, the SR50 is by far one of the fun Scooters I've ever owned. Plenty of forums out there for you to join; any questions; parts; information, etc, etc.. It is a Scooter with a cult following, almost.. LOL

Mine has 5,000 kms on it. Its tricked out a but which helped give it a few extra HP. I started with the Air Filter going to A Mollassi sponge. I use only the NGK Spark Plug option(forget the model). I changed the stock Variator for a Sport Variator from Mollassi. Replaced the drive belt with Kevlar Drive Belt from Mollassi. Torssion Spring and Stock Clutch replaced with a Sport Clutch, also from Mollassi. I haved played around with the ECU although from what I've read; Piaggo have designed the SR50 engine to safely rev up to 11,000 RPM, mine tops out at 9,500. Of course a few after market tuning houses are selling the 70cc and 95cc BiG Bore Kits.. I suppose the SR's would fly with those cylender kits. That said, I removed the rear fender on mine, looks a bit more sporty with out, purchased a PIAA low beam as well.

This to say; I am an adult man, i use it as commute bike, with nap sack; helmet and jacket I'm close to 200lbs on it and it does 80 to 85kms/h on the flats, I have gone over 90kms/h on occasion.

I think you would like it. Good Luck!!!

John
Montreal, Quebec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:41 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Great info John.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:03 am 
n00b
n00b

Minione wrote:
Hi Greg,
I haved played around with the ECU although from what I've read; Piaggo have designed the SR50 engine to safely rev up to 11,000 RPM, mine tops out at 9,500.

John, I believe with your year, 2013 you can do an ECU mod with the Gameboy. Change it from Standard Mode to Development Mode. It should give you a .6 HP increase.

You spoke about the variator, so I assume you removed the restrictor ring. You should also have a restrictor plate on your intake manifold if you have not removed it already.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:12 am 
n00b
n00b

John just gave you a nice and useful info, why don't you try Django LoL it is faster as hell :D i sometimes love to travel on it when i don't feel like to on Peugeot boxer.