the best chinese scooter?

Everything to do with the increasingly popular and nice scooters coming out of Taiwan.
MotorScooterGuy50
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: the best chinese scooter?

Post by MotorScooterGuy50 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:55 am

We were a Znen dealer until our distributor in Texas closed his doors after government scrutiny. Quality was decent for Chinese. The paint faded fast. Parts were hard to get from our distributor so we bought them online. They did not hold up to farmer use but we had few complaints from city users. They are still a "you get what you pay for" scooter.
kz1000st wrote:Thanks. I lifted this quote from their site.

ZNEN GROUP (Zhejiang Zhongneng Industry Group CO.,LTD.) is one of the largest manufactures of automobiles, motorcycles and motor scooters in China. Established in 1996, the Group has maintained rapidly sustained and stable development for 12 years.

Chongqing Astronautic Bashan Motorcycle Manufacturing Co. Ltd is mainly a manufacturer of motorcycles, which incorporates research, manufacturing and marketing of motorcycles, ATVs, engines and their parts. Located in Huaxi Industrial Park in Banan District, Chongqing, Bashan Company occupies an area of 100,000 square meters, capable of producing 100,000 ATVs, 600,000 motorcycles and 1,000,000 engines per year.

As I've said before the problem originally was quick buck artists bought scooters for here in the States with cheap components for big profits. Things have, for the most part, gotten much better. How they are in China, I don't know. They could be putting in "Lucas" electrics for the home market for all I know. Maybe you have to special order better parts.

The engines are Honda clones and should be up to abuse. We had a member in Scootdawg who put 26,000 miles on a 150cc in a little over a year before breaking the frame doing a canyon jump. He wouldn't weld it and junked it with a perfectly good running engine.

vcam
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Post by vcam » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:10 pm

Check Zongshen , they make Piaggio.
2 Yamaha Riva 180's
78 Honda Hobbit
08 Roketa 50
09 Keeway 50 2t
00 Aprilia Scarabeo 50 2t
01 Vino 50 2t
Zongshen 50 4t (the one i ride now)

callyscooter
n00b
n00b

Post by callyscooter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:04 am

This thread needs to be updated 2015.

disclaimer: i know Chinese scooter are 'junk' to some people but for people like myself who cannot afford anything over $1000.. with or without shipping and tax.. These Chinese scooter/moped is all we have to buy right now.

Summary

1. if a person buys a Chinese scooter, this person needs to make sure he or she has a good place to repair the scooter and make sure this repair shop has parts.
1a a person also can find Chinese scooter parts online

QUESTION!!!!!!!

What about best Chinese electric scooter? Does it matter gas or electric? I am checking out 2 scooters Baodiao(Boom) 800w electric scooter and Puma Cycles Fox 700w electric scooter. I live in California and i'm trying to find a scooter/moped that will fit no licence, registration and insurance in my state in California, the elective scooter has to be under 1000w and speed 20mph & below.

Any information on Puma Cycles Fox or/and Baodiao

donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1965

Post by donny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:33 pm

It is good to hear the clone scooters are being better built, but you still must be careful like you said. I do not know anything about electric scooters but a thread should be started? It would be good knowledge for those looking for the best model to buy. I fact my friend just lost his drivers license for a year and he was asking me about an electric scooter, and what is best model to buy. Please keep us informed if you research electric scooters and what is the best model to buy and what you purchased?
presently enjoy riding a Ruckus and a Super 9. Tinkering with a Riva 180 and a couple of old Puch SV's. In the off season I enjoy a 1999 Polaris Indy 600 XLT Touring and a 2014 Artic Cat Prowler side by side

George_S
n00b
n00b

Post by George_S » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:43 pm

I'd never trust a $1000 scooter to be reliable and lasting.
There are a few good Chinese makes, but having owned a $2000 Chinese scooter, I still wasn't all that impressed. I'd advise any newcomer looking for a 50-150cc to just get a Genuine Buddy (quite well made in Taiwan and easier to get parts and service than some Chinese makes.)

donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1965

Post by donny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:16 pm

yes I also agree. I have a super 9 from Taiwan and it is reliable and fast 8-)
presently enjoy riding a Ruckus and a Super 9. Tinkering with a Riva 180 and a couple of old Puch SV's. In the off season I enjoy a 1999 Polaris Indy 600 XLT Touring and a 2014 Artic Cat Prowler side by side

tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Chinese scooters are a crap shoot one shift they are the best built scooters the next the worst all depends on the mood of the workers and the supervisors. Just crank them out at a fast pace(quantity) and keep them cheap. Quality is not high on the list.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150

kz1000st
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by kz1000st » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:08 pm

I just found this thread after being away a long time. Let me tell you my experience with "Brand Name". A few months ago I bought a 2010 Kymco Like 50, with 2000 miles on it to flip, for $300. The young lady selling it said it just quit one day and she was told it was an electrical problem. Yeah, Right.

After buying a starter motor for $85 shipped and a stator for $90, also shipped, I lost interest. I took it to a local small engine repair place. They installed the stator and it wouldn't start for them. It had a rocking 70 psi compression. I told them rip it open and find out why. Scoured piston, scoured barrel and a base gasket of silicon seal that blew open. It's getting redone with a 70cc barrel and I'm ditching it.

Bottom line. Do I think Kymcos are crap-NO. Do I think some Kymco owners are crap, note I said "Some". Uh, yes.

The Like was a $2200 scooter when new and the person before me screwed it up in 2,000 miles. Yet she smiled at me and said, "I took good care of it."

Guess what I think about people who say "All Chinese scooters are junk"?? I think they're all related to the Girl who sold me the Kymco.

kz1000st
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by kz1000st » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:06 pm

And it gets better. I took the Kymco to a local snowmobile/ATV/Lawn Tractor/Small engine repair place to be worked on with cheap hourly shop rates. My bill for the new piston/barrel and stator installation? A mere $665. So that Brand Name scooter that is so much better than Chinese is now up to about $1000 or $300 more than a Chinese 50cc online scooter with a reliable 50cc GY6 engine. I might get $800 when I flip the thing and only lose $200.

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 pm

How do you propose the first owner caused this in just 2000 miles? I could see an owner wrecking a higher milage scooter that uses a bit of oil by not checking it, but in the first 2000 miles an owner isn't really supposed to do anything, so short of draining the oil or something I don't see how this isn't the machine's fault. Maybe the tolerances were off or something.
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus

tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:47 am

The Like 50 was a 2t she probably never put oil in the tank thinking to just put gas in and go. I've read of the same thing happing in the past where people treat a 2t as a 4t with out knowing the difference and causing major damage to the engine. Noting wrong with the scooter or engine but operator/owner error

donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

Post by donny » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:11 am

tiny wrote:The Like 50 was a 2t she probably never put oil in the tank thinking to just put gas in and go. I've read of the same thing happing in the past where people treat a 2t as a 4t with out knowing the difference and causing major damage to the engine. Noting wrong with the scooter or engine but operator/owner error
Yes, no 2 stroke oil will damage the engine for sure. I had a friend that did not know that much about scooters and did not realize the throttle cable that adds 2 stroke oil had broken. he just thought it did not use much 2 stroke oil and bored out his engine and lost compression after a few tanks of gas. :|

kevinv710
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by kevinv710 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:33 pm

tiny wrote:The Like 50 was a 2t she probably never put oil in the tank thinking to just put gas in and go. I've read of the same thing happing in the past where people treat a 2t as a 4t with out knowing the difference and causing major damage to the engine. Noting wrong with the scooter or engine but operator/owner error
The guy also said he had to replaced starter motor, and stator, not piston+rings alone. She might have not put the oil in the tank, but i do think the dealer at least given her the first full tank of oil, when she purchased her scooter, and 2010 model has oil indicator light, are they? and her scooter had only 2000mi.
I dont know, for me Chinese stuff is you get what you paid for, make more sense.

tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Chinese quality control for scooters vary form day to day, shift to shift it all depends. Every manufacture does run in to bad parts from time to time not everyone is perfect even Honda and Yamaha have their bad parts in their scooters Yamaha's BWs 125 have/had an over heating fuel pump. Honda's first Gen Metro(Jazz)/Ruckus had a design flaw in their engine that would cause the cranks to go bad if the oil wasn't change at proper intervals just to name two examples.
So you see every scooter manufacturer has their problems its just that the Chinese ones just change the name of the Scooter and Brand as appose to trying to fix their problems and up their quality. Make them cheap and quick and get them out the door that seems to be their way.

kz1000st
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by kz1000st » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:48 pm

My point is only this. Someone blew up an expensive 2T scooter from a known manufacturer. Imagine the carnage if she bought an online scooter? I've had decent usage from my Chinese scooters. The difference is that I have years of experience and care for my stuff. I have a hard time believing in spotty quality control as long as people are so unreliable. There are many high mileage Chinese scooters out there owned by diligent riders.