Modifying prebuilt
17%
Bicycle conversion
17%

Total votes: 6

byomoped
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982):1982
Building My Own Scooter

Post by byomoped » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello All!
Fresh off the register page, I'd like to say the site looks great! I apologise if this is not the correct place to post this topic, please help me move it if that is the case.

So, recently I have become infatuated with mopeds/scooters/bikes, basically anything that can go fast and is nimble. It will be my first purchase of a motor vehicle, let alone a motorbike. I'm more inclined to mopeds (in my area, a moped is a vehicle powered by a 49cc or smaller gas motor but can still be pedal operated) or something like a bicycle conversion, but I have been tossing around the idea of just getting my motorcycle license.

What brings me here is the idea of going for broke and building my own from scratch! That sounds fantastic, as everything would be how I want it, and it also just sounds like great fun. I have zero experience with anything mechanical, outside changing tires and brakes for a car. Obviously, this is wall numero uno, and I will most likely purchase a used bike for transport, and then have a second that I work on and learn as I go.

So my first question is long and multi-armed: What does the forum recommend? How difficult is it to go from the ground up? Or modifying a prebuilt scoot? Or converting a bicycle?
From there, is this the place to find that information, or is there somewhere else I can go? Do you believe learning completely online is not just possible, but practical? There is a small shop down the road that repairs small motors (lawnmowers, weedwhackers, etc) and also deals in used go karts and bicycles-- Do you think they would assist me in learning?

tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982):1982

Re: Building My Own Scooter

Post by tiny » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Before trying to build your own Scoot from the ground up grab a shitty 1 form the want adds/Craigslist/Kijjie what ever and customize and see what really goes into a scooter and go from there. I bid you good luck.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150

tortoise
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by tortoise » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:41 pm

byomoped wrote:in my area
Location?

byomoped
n00b
n00b

Post by byomoped » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:48 pm

tortoise wrote:
byomoped wrote:in my area
Location?

Dayton, OH

As an aside, I'm fairly familiar with BMV regulation on mopeds. I'm much more interested in finding the knowledge to work on or build a scooter.

tortoise
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by tortoise » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:13 pm

byomoped wrote:OH
For others curious . . Ohio moped stipulations.

Save yourself a lot of grief and aggravation . . and enhanced odds of becoming an organ donor! Get a driver license motorcycle endorsement, and initially select at least a 125cc scooter . . something that would be more compatible with metro traffic flow. Search regional Craigslist postings for a used mid-tier or higher model.

If budget is a significant factor, perhaps you could repair a non-runner.

Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm

It would be far easier and cheaper to just buy a good used scooter.
If you choose to build one, that is okay, but you will end up spending more time that you ever imagined, more money than you ever expected, and the end results will not be up to your expectations.
I am fully capable of building motorcycles and scooters from scratch, but I would not attempt it because of the aforementioned reasons.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.

johnnywheels
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by johnnywheels » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Johnniespeed wrote:It would be far easier and cheaper to just buy a good used scooter.
If you choose to build one, that is okay, but you will end up spending more time that you ever imagined, more money than you ever expected, and the end results will not be up to your expectations.
I am fully capable of building motorcycles and scooters from scratch, but I would not attempt it because of the aforementioned reasons.
Thank you for the advice. I'm pretty new to the scooter world and have been deciding on whether to build from scratch or get a base and build upon it. From what I've read it can be quite a hassle like you mentioned so I think I'll be purchasing a fixer-upper!

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Used scooters - especially non-running ones - can be really cheap. I'd start with a cheap used machine that provides a frame, wiring and a VIN number and then you can modify it as much as you want. This approach lets you focus on the mods you really want (e.g. engine) without all the mundane stuff.
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus