It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
I've been having troubles with my starter on my 1986 Honda Elite 80 lately, so I decided to open it up and take a look. Following the manual, I got all the way to the step of removing the starter gear and could not get it out. I don't have the special flywheel puller tool. Is there a way to remove the starter gear without this tool or should I just buy the tool? I think I found the right one on this website and it's about $10.

Also, any general advice about replacing the starter is much appreciated! I think I'm a little unsure about removing the starter pinion, o-rings, etc.

And for background, the general problem that I'm trying to fix is that when I try to start the scooter, the starter will just whir away and not fully engage to crank over the motor. Sometimes it will turn it over once, but then it will slip or something and keep spinning freely. I am assuming this is because of a bad starter motor, but if it might be something else, please let me know so I don't waste my time and money on other parts! Thanks so much!