My first 1985 Aero80 project. Bystarter and carb help

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
caper
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

My first 1985 Aero80 project. Bystarter and carb help

Post by caper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Ive been reading for the last hour and have made some head way but just wanted to make sure im going in the right direction. All ive done is fresh gas and cleaned the carb out with carb cleaning.(rebuild)

aero80. it starts great by manually choking it so it sounds like I need to replace the bystater(with ebay electric one??)

then once its nice and warmed up, the bike runs good except at idle and full throttle. At idle it keeps wanting to die, but if i ride it around at 75% throttle, it runs smooth and great. near full throttle its bogging down.

could this also be caused by the bystarter being out?or stuck? or do i need to replace the bystarter first then try again?

thanks guys!
Last edited by caper on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Florida Antique
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: My first Aero80 project. Bystarter and carb help

Post by Florida Antique » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:58 am

What year Aero is yours? '83 and '84 did not have an electric bystarter. They use plumbing and a bimetallic valve. The bystarter would have no effect on high speed and would only kill the idle if it was stuck open in which case it would start and run cold properly. I think more than likely your jets (pilot and high speed) are probably clogged from sitting with ethanol laced gas in the bowl of the carb. The gasoline evaporates leaving a ethanol/water sludge that gums up your jets and passages. If yours is a '85 then you may need to verify the bystarter operation when you remove the carburetor for cleaning. If you Aero is a '83/'84 then you may want to do the bystarter bypass mod that Bear 45/70 invented. I and many others on this board have done that to our Aeros and it works great. Just search for his posts and you will find it with diagrams and pictures.
'84 Honda Aero 125
'05 Yamaha Zuma 50 (dual headlight mod)
'09 Yamaha Vino Classic (one of them new fangled 4 stroke things)

http://scooters4hooters.com/

Rush11112
n00b
n00b

Post by Rush11112 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:27 pm

I have an aero 80 as well , and it seems like in the stock configuration they all run fastest/ smoothest at 75% throttle. Mine does and my research leads me to believe they all do. Supposedly if you upgrade the ignition coil and Cdi you will improve your acceleration curve ,and have better performance at full throttle. Hope this helps. Oh by the way , while I have your attention do you know where I might find the plastic body covers that cover the engine area? Thanks,Tim.

Saltytech42
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Saltytech42 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:59 pm

my '85 has the metallic/plumbing style automatic starting enrichment valve, not an electric bystarter.

caper
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by caper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 pm

hey guys! very sorry for my delay in seeing your post. It turns out the notification email went to my spam folder.
Anyways, I will look tonight what exact year and take some pictures. If its the mechanical bypass or carb, is there an ebay or aftermarket carb you recommend to replace everything? this thing has been sitting forever but I did a good job cleaning the carb the best I could..even use some electrical wire strands to clean the jets and soak it in a a bath.

anything else you guys need me to take pictures of for your help? thanks!!

caper
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by caper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 am

Hey again....it is a 1985 Aero 80. now that its warming up I want to start working on this again. since its an 1985, is there a test procedure or bypass for the bystarter?
17523281_10105047351329367_2082201262740706506_n.jpg
17523281_10105047351329367_2082201262740706506_n.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

caper
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by caper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am

im guessing since mine is all tubes and no electric wire ontop of the carb, that this isnt an electric bystarter and I can use Bear's method right? thanks

caper
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by caper » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Hey guys! its officially winter project time again. So i tried the bypass but Its still running the same...could someone validate that bypass? if the bypass isnt working, what do you guys think of just gutting all the oem stuff and putting a manual pull chock carb on it and running the pull thru the plastic.

thanks again

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My first 1985 Aero80 project. Bystarter and carb help

Post by Dan Durston » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:38 pm

My brother did that with his Aero 80. He got an OKO 21mm carb from VTCycles.com along with a cone filter (replaces airbox) and upgraded intake and reeds that bolt to the motor and fit with the new carb. It ran 50mph with that new reeds/intake/carb.

A carb like this should do it. Trickier is getting the right reeds and intake to make it work. I'd look at these sites but the Aero 80 is less popular so you'll probably need to email or call. Supposed the intake you need to fit an aftermarket carb is also used on a few other scooters, so it's not hard to get but it's a bit tricky to buy the right one.
https://www.scooterswapshop.com/collect ... ni-cp-carb
http://scootertuning.ca/en/
http://www.vtcycles.com/vtc_plugins/e10 ... .php?cat=2
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus

JBJHillbilly
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by JBJHillbilly » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:35 pm

caper wrote:Hey guys! its officially winter project time again. So i tried the bypass but Its still running the same...could someone validate that bypass? if the bypass isnt working, what do you guys think of just gutting all the oem stuff and putting a manual pull chock carb on it and running the pull thru the plastic.

thanks again
When you said you cleaned the carb, did you disassemble it and clean the jets with wire, or just carb cleaner? Have you drained and checked the float?

Air mixture and idle screws all good? Make sure to go over everything and double/triple check for air leaks. I’ve had teeny tiny ones wreak havoc.

Most of the time, without rejetting, new exhaust, New carb, and airbox delete all being done, on these bikes the standard carb and airbox setups are the best bet.

Also, check over at hondaspree.net. I’d have a hard time believing there isn’t an Aero 80 carb thread already there.

machv5
n00b
n00b

Post by machv5 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:02 am

i know this is an older thread. as for the 75% issue if you get a larger main jet it solves the bog full throttle. as for the idle i put in an adjustable venturi needle one with four possible settings as i had bent the stock by cranking the idle screw in too far. i have it on the 2nd notch from the top. Since then it idles fine but when cold dies at any throttle unless I let it warm up for 30 seconds first then slowly rev till it springs into life and takes off like a rocket. Yes i am using an air filter and no holes drilled into the airbox. Mine is an 85 but am pretty sure it's not got a bystarter aka enricher it has all kinds of hoses coming off of it that I'm surprised it wasn't made by Abiocor.

rosabellagm
n00b
n00b

Re: My first 1985 Aero80 project. Bystarter and carb help

Post by rosabellagm » Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 pm

I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable gmail login.

dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm

machv5 wrote:i know this is an older thread. as for the 75% issue if you get a larger main jet it solves the bog full throttle. as for the idle i put in an adjustable venturi needle one with four possible settings as i had bent the stock by cranking the idle screw in too far. i have it on the 2nd notch from the top. Since then it idles fine but when cold dies at any throttle unless I let it warm up for 30 seconds first then slowly rev till it springs into life and takes off like a rocket. Yes i am using an air filter and no holes drilled into the airbox. Mine is an 85 but am pretty sure it's not got a bystarter aka enricher it has all kinds of hoses coming off of it that I'm surprised it wasn't made by Abiocor.
I also have an 1985 Aero 80 and wondering if you made any progress on this?

machv5
n00b
n00b

Post by machv5 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:49 pm

dr_rock wrote:
machv5 wrote:i know this is an older thread. as for the 75% issue if you get a larger main jet it solves the bog full throttle. as for the idle i put in an adjustable venturi needle one with four possible settings as i had bent the stock by cranking the idle screw in too far. i have it on the 2nd notch from the top. Since then it idles fine but when cold dies at any throttle unless I let it warm up for 30 seconds first then slowly rev till it springs into life and takes off like a rocket. Yes i am using an air filter and no holes drilled into the airbox. Mine is an 85 but am pretty sure it's not got a bystarter aka enricher it has all kinds of hoses coming off of it that I'm surprised it wasn't made by Abiocor.
I also have an 1985 Aero 80 and wondering if you made any progress on this?
What are you referring to as far as progress is concerned?