Honda Elite 80 problems getting it to start

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
machv5
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Honda Elite 80 problems getting it to start

Post by machv5 »

Usually this only happens when it's cold but sometimes it happens when it's been off for only a few minutes.

I am having to spit gas into the carb directly to get the scooter to start especially when it's cold. Then after it turns over a few times it springs into life and runs fine. The choke seems to be working as the idle is higher at first then alms down once it warms up. I think it may be the vacuum that sucks fuel into the system but maybe it is the choke as well. I don't know and only have a limited knowledge of engines. Everything I know about engines I have learned in the past 2 months. I got the scooter in a non running state and since then have been learning about engines and managed to get it going I initially bought a new petcock and then after tinkering with the mix and idle screws got it running again. But it has always had issues with starting up initially since then, though I guess it not starting at all before then was worse lol. I'm a fast learner and am determined to fix this problem so any help is greatly appreciated.
cancunia
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Honda Elite 80 problems getting it to start

Post by cancunia »

Take a look here, it may be that you have a slight blockage in the float bowl. Not sure if it's the same carb, but similar principles will probably apply

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... at_It_Does
TheHondaMan
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Re: Honda Elite 80 problems getting it to start

Post by TheHondaMan »

I just recently refurbished a 1986 Honda Aero 50 and that also was not running when I got it. I super cleaned the carb (like literally take every pice aart and seriously clean it). And then I replaced the engine gaskets. And she was running mint right afterwards