It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new to the honda elite 80 starting problems
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:35 pm 
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Hello everyone, I just bought an 87 honda elite with 6k plus miles, it was in storage for over 12 yrs, I bought a new battery, empty the gas tank, clean the top and bottom parts of the carburator, bottom part had some buildup, did not remove the whole carburator.
but it won't start, starter kicks in, engine turns, no run.
if I use a bit of starting fluid; it runs, but when I give it gas it does nothing, almost like if there was no gas.
spark plug is new, air filter too.
is really nice, it has a kenwood stereo, a compartement in the back.
I wish I could have it running, if not I might have to take it to the shop, I paid $500 for it.
any ideas of what to do next?
thank you in advance for the help.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: new to the honda elite 80 starting problems
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:07 pm 
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

There are several things that can cause your issues. These scooters have a filter in the tank above the the petcock. It could be plugged. Then there is the petcock itself, it is a vacuum operated fuel valve. It can be plugged or bad. There are two lines to it, on to the intake manifold (the vacuum line) to the bottom nipple on the petcock. When vacuum is applied fuel should flow out the nipple on the side of the petcock. you can suck on the vacuum line and see if fuel come out the fuel line, which runs to the carb. If you have fuel there, the needle can be stuck in the carb, keep fuel from entering the the float bowl of the carb. You can check for fuel in the float bowl by opening the bowl drain screw at the bottom of the carb. If fuel comes out the drain then you at least have fuel in the float bowl. The carb itself can be bad in several way. The main jet can be plugged. The bystarter can be bad as well as the idle circuit can be plugged. You should not have to ever use starting fluid on these engines. First off it washes the oil off the cylinder walls, which means metal to metal, which is bad.

'83 Aero 80
'83 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:01 pm 
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

OK thank you, I did remove the piece you are talking about Petcock? I blew from one fuel line that connects to the side of the carburator and I was fine, but the second fuel line that goes to the top of the carburator, did not seem to be open at all, I blow in it but it seems to me that it was plug, before I removed the tank I tried to suck fuel but nothing came out.
I suck both lines and I got no fuel, but if I run the engine, the bottom part of the carburator overflows and I get fuel comming from the top hose,an over fill hose?
it does not overfills right away, it overfills after a while.
so no starting fluid then, I hope I did not kill the engine,
do I have to add oil to the gas thank?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

You don't blow on the lines, ever. The one going to the top of the carb is the one out the side of the petcock and it is only has as much pressure as gravity can supply, AKA very low pressure. The nipple in the bottom of the petcock is a VACUUM line and you suck on it to OPEN the valve for the fuel to flow. Blowing on it just seals the valve tighter. Oh and it should hold pressure.

This is a 4 stroke engine. NO oil in the gas. This engine has oil in the crankcase for lubrication. Oh and you should change the oil and clean the filter.

Your problem is that the float is not closing the needle and stopping the fuel flow into the carb. You need the remove the carb, pull the float bowl and clean the needle and seat area. You also need to make sure the float actually does float (not leaking).

Read here on carb cleaning.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning

Here is the Service Manual for your Scooter. Download it, read it and learn.

http://cashville.net./sites/default/fil ... Manual.pdf

For detailed service info, look here;

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... al_Section

'83 Aero 80
'83 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:17 pm 
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Ok thank you, I will post pic's of what I'm doing that way if I'm doing it wrong someone can point it out, I bougth a can of carb cleaner, I will trow everything in a bowl an spray that carb,
just to make sure on the fuel lines, if I suck on them I should get fuel?
because when I did it before I got nothing, the one on top of the carb was really hard to suck on it, almost like if it was plug, does that means the petcock is bad?
once again thank you for the reply's

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:19 pm 
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend

oldscooter80 wrote:
Ok thank you, I will post pic's of what I'm doing that way if I'm doing it wrong someone can point it out, I bougth a can of carb cleaner, I will trow everything in a bowl an spray that carb,
just to make sure on the fuel lines, if I suck on them I should get fuel?
because when I did it before I got nothing, the one on top of the carb was really hard to suck on it, almost like if it was plug, does that means the petcock is bad?
once again thank you for the reply's

No, If you suck on the line going from the manifold to the bottom of the petcock, the fuel should flow out the other line, the one to the carb itself. You know gravity works 24/7 so the fuel runs downhill.

With the carb cleaner make sure you spray thru all the passages in the carb. That way you know they are clear.

'83 Aero 80
'83 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:30 am 
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

I can work on a bmw with no problem, mostly mechanical work, but these scooter is a whole different thing, :lol:
I cannot believe these little monster is putting up a fight.
once I get it running I will claim victory! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35 pm 
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

ok so I got it running, I cleaned the carb, let the jets sit on carb cleaner for a while, after a few try's it run, at first; smoke was coming from the engine compartment, I guess from being in storage for so long, after a while it run fine, I took it around the block a couple of times, it handles really nice for a small scooter.
However I think the battery is not strong enough to run the radio while the engine is off.
I was playing with the radio stations for a while and it might have drain the battery.
I will have to recharged it or jump it, it is a brand new battery do.
anyways thank you for the information, it save me a lot of cash buying things I did not need, or going to the shop and paying $$$$$
will post pic's later if anyone will like to see what it looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

ha i need some help ,i just bought a honda elite 80 an the hose,s to the oil filter were off, what ,were do they go , i have new one,s to put on ,,can any one help me out ..lil red 1986 :?: :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:00 pm 
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

I can post some pic's if you tell me where is located, or what to look for, since I just got mine,