It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Yamaha Mint
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:30 pm 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
I recently purchased a Yamaha Mint. I believe it is a 50cc, but little is known about it. I was told that a previous owner moved to the USA from Japan and had the scooter shipped. The Mint was only sold in Japan. Trouble is I need a carbuerator and air box for it and I can't read Japanese. Does anyone know if the Razz or Riva were like the Mint enough that parts will fit? I also don't know the year model of the scooter.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha Mint
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:31 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
can you find the engine code on the crankcase? That would help a lot. A few pictures too.
This page has what looks like a Razz/Mint as the same but they might have split at a later date.
http://www.50cc.eu/en/parts_3.asp?Hg=Al ... zz%20(sh50)&TA=YamMin&I=280&Ag=53
Because it looks like the Mint kept going late into the '90's. where as the Razz was stopped after the Mid/Late '80's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:41 am 
n00b
n00b

I've attached a picture. It does look a lot like the Razz, maybe it's the same they just kept making it overseas after it stopped in the US. I'll look at the crankcase later and see what I can find. It won't start anymore. The previous owners removed the air box and installed a fuel petcock, which when left open leaks gas when the engine is off. Im guessing an air box and new carb will fix this. Maybe the float is stuck open and their solution was to install the petcock.

Attachments:
IMG_3252.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG [ 4.97 MiB | Viewed 850 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:33 pm 
n00b
n00b

Update: I managed to find an air box used in Japan on eBay, so I've ordered that.

This metal thing with 3 ports on it that is not being used. What is that and what connects to it? There were some extra lines on my carb. that i suspect may go there as vacuum lines. Also, it doesn't look like there is a fuel filter, anywhere should there be one?

I've cleaned out the carb and drained the gas and it is running much better. It does bogg at full throttle but I think its the stupid aftermarket air cleaner. I'd like to the leave the fuel petcock open all the time and not worry about leaking gas. I suspect when these 3 ports are connected right and the stock air box is all connected right that wont happen.

Attachments:
IMG_3258.JPG
IMG_3258.JPG [ 2 MiB | Viewed 795 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

That would be the Yamaha OEM style Petcock. A Picture from an '88 Razz (https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempart ... /fuel-tank) The big nipple at the back goes to the fuel tank the top one supplies the carb with fuel and the bottom one is the vacuum line from the carb. the fuel filter I believe is apart of the petcock but you can always add an in line filter.