It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a white 1984 Yamaha CA50. Overall, the scooter is in nice shape. I have it at a friends house, who happens to be a mechanic, so I am unable to show to beauty off at this point. My friend has owned the scooter for years before I bought it from him, and he got it from his grandfather. The scooter has roughly 1600 miles on it and has been kept in a garage for the majority of its life. Whether its a good thing, or a bad, the scooter has not been driven much. The last time it was driven was about three years ago to go to the convenient store and back. I got it home, changed the oil, drained the gas, put new gas in it, bought a new battery and surprisingly it started right up. It bogs down a bit and obviously needs to have the carb cleaned, along with the drive belt replaced. Unfortunately, I am having much difficulty in finding replacement parts for it, specifically a carb rebuild kit (and drive belt). Anyway someone could weigh in on the issue and point me in the right direction to finding these parts? I would greatly appreciate any input, and I sure am excited to get this hog on the road. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:16 am 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Checking Cheapcycleparts.com I find that there are a few Carb parts that you could order depending on what you need. As to a belt if you have the original one measure it and look for an aftermarket one of the same length and width. I believe that's the best you could do next to scouring Ebay and getting lucky on parts.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:48 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the info. Ive checked cheapcycleparts.com along with partzilla.com and have had some luck. Unfortunately these sites are fairly limited. Anyone else have any suggestions? I really want to get this thing on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:56 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Looks like most carb parts are still available, here is a link.http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempart ... carburetor
The belt appears to no longer be in stock, here is a link to the part number. http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempart ... carburetor
Using the original part number, you should with a little creative internet research be able to translate the part number into a width, length and sidewall angle. Once you have those measurements, you should be able to locate a replacement that is very close. Yes it will require research, work and searching, that is a normal process when working on antiques.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:07 am 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

you could also try partsforscooters.com

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:39 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the input. I'm still only coming up with an incomplete list of available parts. As far as the carb, is there possibly i new carb thats readily available that is compatible? I was thinking I may be able to switch it out with a totally new one? As far as the drive belt is concerned, I will take the existing one off and just try to find the closest belt in size and hope that works. What do you think?