It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 am 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hey everyone, brand new here, cause I'm a brand new owner of a 2004 BW's. A spur of the moment decision had me riding home on a scooter last night. And while I hope I'll get used to the weirdness of riding something with fat 10" wheels, I don't know that I'll get used to the 60kph top speed.

So, is that a typical top speed for them? Should I replace the belt, have a look at the clutching, replace the rings? Anything I can do to it for a couple of hundred buck that will improve the acceleration and top speed?

What are your suggestions for the best place to buy parts and accessories online in Canada?

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:53 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Best and cheapest ways to make it go faster is a VARIATOR Kit for the transmission (One with a Torque/Contra Spring would be best)and an Exhaust. Look on scootertuning.ca that's where I got the parts for my '01 Vino(same engine) a local Motorcycle/Scooter shop should/might have a catalog from Importations Thibault (https://www.importationsthibault.com/itl/catalogs.jspx) another great place for finding parts and Ideas.
My vino is smaller & lighter then the BW's but I'm able to hit 85KPH with it. A mild Kit and exhaust will have you up and over 75KPH easy.
Good Luck
What part of Canada you from?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:54 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

While I am not familiar with your model scooter, I have a little two stroke experience.
First off, the two stroke benefits very little ( almost nothing ) from the "big bore kit" that so many refer too, I consider that a waste of money.
The topic of port timing, and porting is too complex to discuss , they are also not for the beginner, but they are big players in increasing power.
Racing fuel, premium fuel and fuel additives are also a waste of money and will provide no increase.
The exhaust system internal shape is the single most important part of two stroke performance.
If you look at most any two stroke dirt bike you will notice the pipe ( or expansion chamber) increases in diameter ( divergence cone) there is a short length at maximum diameter, then it decreases in diameter, ( convergence cone ). This simple yet complex opposing cones is the key ingredient in two stroke power, it functions similar to a supercharger but uses sonic pulses, it helps scavenge the spent charge from the cylinder, then pushes back into the cylinder the oncoming fuel charge. You could spend and enormous amount of time researching the theory, but in short the pipe is most important.
So to sum up what I am trying to say, is that any larger amount of money spent should be directed at the exhaust system.
For smaller amounts of money spent, lighter roller weights ( inside the variator) will increase your RPM and make take offs seem faster.
Tuning the variator/secondary clutch can be time consuming, but Tiny is right, it is a player in the performance game.
There are a lot of folks who live to tune scooters and mopeds, they have taken this topic to the extreme and have vast amounts of knowledge and experience. I have noticed however these so called extreme modified bikes have very little reliability, and become a life consuming money pit.
Hopefully you can find a couple simple mods and perk up your scooter a little , then you can enjoy scootering.
I started with 50cc scooters, got a 125cc, then 150cc, then a 250. I switched from 2 stroke to four. My speeds have increased with engine size.
I am told the Suzuki Hayabusa will do 190 MPH in stock form new from the dealer, perhaps I should buy one of those.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

My fastest Spree would do 33 mph, I just bought that GXSR 1000 and it does 168 actual. I think I have come a long ways.
Did you get any mods done yet ?
Did they perk up your scooter ?