It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Zuma Kickstarter Jamming
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
I'm helping a friend replace the v-belt on his 2005 Zuma and it's not as straightforward as I thought. I removed the primary gear cover and stupidly pulled the cover behind it outward a tad and a bunch of parts fell out. I believe they are the sprags for the one way clutch. I wasn't sure how to orient them so I took my best guess and put everything back together. I slipped the new belt around the shaft and put the primary cover back on. Everything spun freely with no binding. However, once I put the transmission cover back on, the Kickstarter is jamming. I'm thinking maybe those sprag pieces aren't in the properly. Perhaps one got skewed while I was sliding it back on. Other than that, everything else seemed to go back on properly. Can someone post a pic or a detailed explanation on how to orient those pieces? And is it best to remove the entire assembly, put it all together, then reinstall? I had my buddy tilt the bike over while I slipped the cover back on, but I'm thinking maybe one of then moved and is thereby holding the cover plate too far outward, which is causing the Kickstarter gears to jam.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Also, every video I watched does not show the sprags, nor does the service manual explain how to install them. It literally says to install the "weights". Another thing I noticed is that most of the belts I see in videos are loose. The one I installed was a pain to get on and it is very tight. I had to separate the secondary drive whole my friend wedged the belt in between, then I was barely able to get it around the primary shaft. Doesn't seem right. I know it's the correct belt because two different online vendors list it as fitting.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 pm 
n00b
n00b

Variation sliders is what I think they're called. The backing plate didn't budge, but it looks like if I tap on it, it should come right off. It's just stuck to the shaft. I found a video that shows their orientation, so it looks like I put the in upside down. BTW, they are aftermarket, which is why they don't resemble the ones shown in the service manual