It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:34 pm 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hi guys, quick question, looking to do an oil change on my nh125, every so often when breaking my oil light comes on, so i figure its probably a bit low. so i want to dump the old engine oil, and put in all new oil.

read it takes 10w40, but only 3oz of it? i dont know much about two strokes, but that seems so low, ofc ill make sure its up to the oil check bolt to make sure it has enough, but from what ive read online (the aero125 manual pdf) it says it only takes 3oz of engine oil. would like to know if what im reading is right, and do i need to use honda engine oil, or can i just use any 10w40, also should i go synthetic, thanks!

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Honda_N ... Manual.pdf

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 am 
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982
Hi, I believe that you possibly have two things mixed up. The NH125 Aero has a small oil reservoir that lubricates the transmission. Yes you can use basically any recommended oil of the recommended weight (here I think 10W40). Your Aero has a two stroke engine that mixes two stroke oil with the gasoline. That light is possibly signalling that the two stroke oil reservoir is low. I would recommend making sure that the two stroke oil tank (under the seat near the gas cap) is filled with two stroke oil. By the way it would not hurt to run the scooter and while the transmission oil is still warm drain it and refill with the 3 ounces or so of motor oil. Let us know how it turned out!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:03 pm 
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

To change the transmission oil, obviously I remove the drain plug and allow the old oil to drip out, then replace the drain plug and to refill it, I use an old fashioned pump style oil can and pump the oil back into the transmission until it is full and running over, when that stops dripping I reinstall the fill bolt. Yes it only holds a very small amount, so I change it very often about once a month, since it is so easy to do, usually takes about five minutes to do.
Yes they do specify engine oil for the transmission , but since I get synthetic GL-4 gear lube for free, that is what I use.
Changing engine oil is what you do on a four stroke, you have a two stroke, your engine is lubricated by two stroke oil contained in a tank under the seat, it is mixed into the fuel by a variable metering pump, once into the fuel it is drawn into the engine while running and lubricates the main bearings and piston.
The oil tank has a oil level float connected to the oil light, it is possible you need to refill that tank. All my Aero 125's had oil seepage from that float grommet, I have found by removing it and washing all oil residue off, then refitting the oil sender with RTV sealer, I was able to eliminate all oil seepage.
I believe Honda calls for GN 2 two stroke oil, pretty much any top quality two stroke oil intended for oil injection systems will work, I happen to use Amsoil Interceptor with very good results.
The gear lube I use is synthetic and the two stroke oil I use is synthetic. Everyone will have a differing opinion about oil brands.