Clutch gear problem

Vintage Vespa's & Lambretta's from the 40's to 80's
lynnb
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Clutch gear problem

Post by lynnb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

I just re entry purchased a 1963 vespa vbb 150cc, bike is in great shape and I do plan in restoring it as close to te way it was when it came off the showroom floor. At this point I would just like to get it shifting properly, problem I'm havering is I pull in the clutch and soon as I drop it into gear it stalls, it appears the clutch isn't engaging enough to allow the clutch to be pulled in and bike sitting in gear ready to go. Can I get some suggestions in making this work? The previous owner said he couldn't get it to go into first and always used 2nd because 1st was such a low gear. He suggested I tinker with the cable adjustments for getting it to go into 1st but really I'm more concerned with getting the clutch to work properly. Can I pls get some suggestions befor I dive into an unfamiliar territory.

Thanks
Lynn

motormike
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Clutch gear problem

Post by motormike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm

The clutch is either working well enough to shift all gears, OR it isn't.
I haven't any on-hands experience with Vespa, but cables need adjusting sounds like.
A friend owns a Bajaj Chetak (similar bike) and has reported having trouble with his "shifting cable"
Stretch is likely and requires occasional adjustment... ;)
Since the previous owner reported to you that he used 2nd gear to take off,
you can expect the clutch to have excessive wear from slipping too much.
If you have any adjustment left on the clutch cable, take it up some for more throw and you should see some change.
There may be other adjustments I don't know of.
The shifting is also cable, so there is a procedure for adjusting that in the service manual.
Don't know where to find it, sorry...google
Should be easy to "figure out" with some inspection.
Rock-on.......................................................... :ugeek:

roadcapDen
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by roadcapDen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Ya, what Rim Kicker sayeth,

On my ’58 150 VBB (that was actually in 3 baskets) I put in all new cables, there are adjustment nuts to play with. 8-)
How much play is in the clutch lever?, about 1/8” should be OK.
Is it relatively easy to pull in?, should be.
Try riding in and then stopping with the clutch lever pulled in, does it stall?
Check the clutch cable end where it attaches to the engine.
Chech engine parts at scooterworkswest in Chi-town.
Have a manual?

Let us know what you find after playing with it some more…
roadcapDen
http://roadcapden.webs.com/1975amfharleysxt125.htm

"Ass, grass or gas, no free rides"

lynnb
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by lynnb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Cable is easy to pull, if I run beside it to get it going after running and pulling clutch into 2nd it goes fine but as for pulling clutch after stopping it will stall. I don't have a manual yet but I have found a couple sites that sell parts and the manual I want to get the clutch straightened out first before starting on the rest of the bike. So looking at the clutch what are the wear parts I should defiantely replace to get it back to great working order?
Thanks
Lynn

roadcapDen
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by roadcapDen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 am

Check your "selector" function, as was previously stated the clutch either works or not, but the plates may be worn, warped, oiled or burnt. Looks like you should "get into it".

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... Engine/107
roadcapDen

lynnb
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by lynnb » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 am

Other than the obvious checking and more than likely replacing of the plates is there any specific parts I should order that will help with the clutch functions?

roadcapDen
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by roadcapDen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 am

May need new cables and the shifter arm, but they need to be checked out, may be OK.
roadcapDen

lynnb
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by lynnb » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 pm

I split the casings and the engine is very rough as far as the casings go, the small bushing thats in the case at the end of the cush drive is very loose in the case and I'm thinking this may or may not have to do with the shifting problem. Also I noticed the clutch nut is an ordinary nut and not the special nut that a tool is used to remove.

lynnb
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by lynnb » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:09 pm

roadcapDen wrote:May need new cables and the shifter arm, but they need to be checked out, may be OK.
I did get new cables and shifter arm has a good spring to it. But cases are very sorry.

donny
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1965

Post by donny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:25 am

See Good thing you started a thread :geek: It will be a kick ass scooter when done! Looking for ward to your progress
presently enjoy riding a Ruckus and a Super 9. Tinkering with a Riva 180 and a couple of old Puch SV's. In the off season I enjoy a 1999 Polaris Indy 600 XLT Touring and a 2014 Artic Cat Prowler side by side