Kymco B&W 250 question

Everything to do with the increasingly popular and nice scooters coming out of Taiwan.
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Kymco B&W 250 question

Post by GVH »

I was looking at a 2002 Kymco B&W 250 for $900 obo. It has Ownership issues but runs drives great. I have been trying to find with no luck what the engine configuration is. I mean Vertical or Horizontal ?? Another Rucks project engine swap idea in my head.

Thanks for any help.
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Kymco B&W 250 question

Post by Dan Durston »

I did a bit of reading and it seems the B&W 250 has a horizontal motor. I'm not certain about this but it looks horizontal from the pictures and the review I read boasted about huge underseat storage which indicates it's horizontal. There are a few more specs here but nothing too great:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/reviews/ ... ooter4.htm

Regarding the swap, this sounds like a good starting point for a project. It would likely be a better choice than a vertical Elite 250 engine, although that can work out good with enough effort. Another option is a Yamaha Riva 180/200 engine which is powerful, simple and horizontal. I really like these motors if I was doing a Ruckus swap.

Here's a Riva 180. I'd love something clean like this but stretched a bit less if possible. Notice that Jason (Battlescooter) was even able to keep the stock floorboard on there:

Here's an Elite 250 including real NOS:

Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus