Sym DD 50 Cold starting

Everything to do with the increasingly popular and nice scooters coming out of Taiwan.
stuartl
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Sym DD 50 Cold starting

Post by stuartl »

Hi folks, this is my first post so please be gentle with me!!

I bought a Sym DD50 last week for my wife to use for work at the local hospital as there is no staff parking available there.

It is a 2004 model with electric and kick start.

When I bought it the battery was dead and the lad had been starting it by kick start which was very floppy as the mechanism was caput.

We bought used a spare motorbike battery but the problem is starting from cold when it hardly ever starts with the electric starter. If I give the battery a boost it will start immediately. I bought a new battery yesterday and it started yesterday but this morning it wouldnt start again. I gave the kick start one go and it very nearly started but then the kick start mechanism fell apart!! Again, with a boost the bike started first time.

I understand the elec start takes a lot of battery power which of course the kick start doesnt but have also read about the auto bystarter and wondered if this sounds a possibility.

I have ordered a new casing and kickstart assembly from ebay but really as my wife will be using the bike I want the electric start to work reliably.

Thanks in anticipation of some help!

Regards

Stuart
Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Sym DD 50 Cold starting

Post by Dan Durston »

Is the battery that you just bought actually new? Or a used one? And is it the right battery? And did you fully charge it up? A new battery needs to be charged fully in order to work properly, if you don't it can damage it because you are using it at low voltage. Since the scooter starts easily with a boost, it sounds like your battery isn't functioning fully.
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus
stuartl
n00b
n00b

Post by stuartl »

The battery was new and definately the correct one although I have to say I didnt charge it prior to fitting though it has been charged since. I changed the plug and cap yesterday as the cap in particular was in very poor condition and it started immediately. I will try it again this morning (I am in UK but not sure where you are!) and let you know what happens. Thanks for your reply!
GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH »

Another possibility is the battery is not getting charged from the scooter. Possibly the stator or RegRec is not working correctly. Once it does start try checking the voltage on the battery. It should be about 13 or higher if it's working properly. The scooter needs to produce more voltage than it is using to charge up the battery. You may need to rev the scooter a bit to get a proper reading.
MotorScooterGuy50
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by MotorScooterGuy50 »

Sounds like you have a small draw. Draining the battery over night. Turn the key off and test the voltage, then see if it drops.