Lightest 50cc offroadish scooter

Talk about anything scooters.
GeekyQC
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Lightest 50cc offroadish scooter

Post by GeekyQC »

I'm thinking of acquiring a secondhand fuel efficient RV, so probably light. I will most likely go on unpaved roads, not necessarily all the time but not rarely. If within my means, I may even acquire an RV with High Air Intake (snorkel); examples: 1, 2. Even though it would be fuel efficient, it would still be a RV and probably cost more to go around (say go to a coffee place to get free WIFI).

So bringing along a more fuel efficient vehicle would make sense. I think having it on a hitch receiver-mount motorcycle carrier would be nice; examples: 1, 2. I've seen some motorcycle towing dolly trailer but I don't trust them as much; examples: 1, 2. Although... I could store the dolly trailer in the RV and having a trailer stolen is a concern of mine (the reason I changed my mind from a car + camper trailer combo).

I used to have a ~150 lb (68 Kg) secondhand 50cc scooter, I'm hoping there would be something lighter available. I don't have money for something new, and probably not even for something less than 2 years old. As I mentioned I will most likely go on unpaved roads, and perhaps poorly maintained dirt roads. So I need a 50cc scooter that has decent traction in case there's some thick mud and enough suspension so I could ride at minimum 10 mph (16 km/h) on poorly maintained dirt roads. I prefer a lighter scooter over one that better handle offroading but it can't be so light that I'd need to ride so slow that riding a bicycle on the same poorly maintained dirt road would be as fast (or faster).

Thank you kindly for your suggestions.

PS: Although backing up with something on a dolly trailer seem like it would be a headache, if not unsafe. I think I'll have the carrier welded in lightly enough so with not too much grinding it could be return to near-original state.
Last edited by GeekyQC on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Lightest 50cc offroad scooter

Post by tiny »

the only ones I can think of are a Pre-Bug BW's/Zuma(1997-2001) and the gen 1 Piaggio Typhoon('05-08) both at about 180lbs. Or if you can find one in decent shape and not too expensive a KYMCO CobraCross(210lbs), Honda Ruckus(anything before '06 it needs constant oil changes at 3000Miles to help the eninge stay true 190lbs).
Failing to find any of those any older 50cc model will do you'll just need to drive slower on the gravel. Best place to maybe find a scooter is going to the local rave track during a race weekend and follow the guys riding around on scooters and see if any are willing to let it go.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
GeekyQC
n00b
n00b

Re: Lightest 50cc offroadish scooter

Post by GeekyQC »

Sorry for the miscommunication. I was hoping to get the best offroad or offroadish non-recent scooters under 150 lbs (68 Kg). The lighter the better, but have to at least be offroadish (what I mean by non-offroadish is can only handle pavement or well maintained dirt roads) and if there's some in a similar weight, to be ranked by offroading capabilities. I've modified in the thread title "offroad" to "offroadish" to make it more clear.

Those are what I meant by poorly maintained dirt roads: 1, 2, and imagine a dry version of 3.

I'd be glad to expand on part of my explanation attempt if I'm pointed which aspect was unclear.
Sh00bs
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Sh00bs »

i feel like the adly rt50 is pretty light but im positive

im currently building a dirt ped using a tomos arrow... larger mono shock and knobbies with an upgraded engine

they have that "survivalist" bike but it's like $3k and only does 24mph (lol)

tbh, imo... if you want a dirt scooter, you should build one yourself? aero50's are pretty durable... if you stripped most of the plastic off and lifted it with a bigger shock and knobbies, you could have a pretty offroad capable scooter. i dont think they really made "offroad scooters", vintage 70's/80's small 70/80/100 cc dual sports would be your best bet
i'd say a PW80 or KLX110 but neighter is street legal, however ~150lbs and can do most anything offroad

GL
Scootersonlyrepair
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Scootersonlyrepair »

In az you can get a pit bike and make it street legal by adding lights horn ect then when its tagged and plated ur good everywhere if I buy az land I'm going to start a street legal off road conversion business. Send me your vehicle and paperwork and i will convert it register it for street and send it back. Someday.