After carb rebuild and misc tuneup, Honda Elite 80 tops out at only 25mph

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
jonmagee
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

After carb rebuild and misc tuneup, Honda Elite 80 tops out at only 25mph

Post by jonmagee »

I've had a Honda Elite 80 (2006 model) for several years, but it's always been very hard to start, especially if it had been sitting (even if it was only a few days). The top speed though and acceleration were great though, and I would top out at about 40mph. It being hard to start though had gotten worst and worst, to the point that if it had been sitting for 3 days, it would take me killing the battery and charging it and trying again to get it started. I decided to take the last month or so to rebuild/clean/replace anything I could, in hopes that it would fix that issue. I took the carb and muffler off. I bought a carb rebuild kit, totally cleaned out the carb, replaced the gaskets/jets/etc. I put a new bi-starter on it. Replaced the Sparkplug. I cleaned out the muffler. I checked the intake connector that connects the carb for any cracks, and it seems fine. Checked the gas lines for any cracks and didn't see anything. I tested the petcock by sucking on the one line, and making sure gas came out of the additional one. I checked the gas tank for any rust, and and it seemed fine. After all this, I put everything back together. It now starts up, almost instantly; even if it's been sitting for over a week. That part is awesome. What is not right though, is what happens when you try to accelerate it all the way; it actually starts cutting out. If I accelerate it about halfway, I can get to the top speed of 25mph..sometimes 30. If I try to accelerate it all the way, it actually starts slowing down and you can hear it cutting in and out. I'm worried I did something wrong with putting the carb back together? (this was my first time attempting anything like that). Or is there anything else that could be causing this all of a sudden?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
jonmagee
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: After carb rebuild and misc tuneup, Honda Elite 80 tops out at only 25mph

Post by jonmagee »

Yesterday I took the exhaust and carb off again, cleaned out the carb again, making sure all jets were clear, and put it back together. I'm still getting the exact same issue when I put it back together though :/
Goofaroo
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by Goofaroo »

Any luck on this yet? The carb on your 80 is very simple but it needs to be clean and set up right. Verify that the float level is fairly close to spec. If you bought a Keyster or some other brand of kit you only want to use the gaskets, o-rings, and needle. I would thoroughly clean the factory jets and reinstall them in the carb. The pilot jet in particular is usually a different style in the aftermarket kits and never seem to work right. And if you didn’t pull out the emulsion tube and thoroughly clean it you need to do so.

How many miles? Do you hear any cam chain noise? The chain tensioner can get worn or out of adjustment allowing the chain to jump a tooth off of time. This would account for sluggish throttle response and low top speeds. I would suspect that next if you don’t get a different response after going through the carb again.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
jonmagee
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jonmagee »

No luck yet. I just went ahead and took the gas tank off, completely de-rusted it, replaced the petcock, built in filter, and the fuel and air lines. Put it back together and it's still doing the exact same thing. When I cleaned out the carb, I did replace the jets (and the old ones have been thrown away at this point), so I might have screwed up with that. I now have a new carb coming (not OEM though) and I'm really hoping that gets me going. At this point I will have replaced/cleaned pretty much everything I can think of beside getting into the actual engine.
jonmagee
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jonmagee »

Oh, also, could you speak more on the "emulsion tube"? I'm not seeing any diagrams of this for these carbs. When I took the carb apart, I tried to take it completely apart and clean out everything, but now I'm worried I missed this piece.
jonmagee
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jonmagee »

So the new carb came in, I put it on, and it is seriously doing the exact same thing. The top speed might have gotten slightly higher (around 32), but only when I have it at half throttle; as soon as I open it up all the way (whether I'm actually riding it, or have it on the stand), it starts sputtering and slows down. I'm really at my wits end now on what to do next.
dbuzz77
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dbuzz77 »

like someone said maybe get the timing checked and from my snowmobile experience maybe a weight is stuck in the front clutch or either clutch is hung up with rust or even belt pieces
1984 Aero 80, 2003 Honda VFR, 2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S
Nearly.Mark
n00b
n00b

Post by Nearly.Mark »

Hey Jon, did you ever get this figured out? I have the exact same issue with my ‘85 Elite80.
jonmagee
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jonmagee »

I haven't. I actually ended up taking it into a shop, where it's been sitting waiting to be worked on for the last month. Hopefully once they get to it, they will be able to figure something out. If so, I will definitely post on here!