Seized Axle Nut on Elite 80 (rear)

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
pennstump
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Seized Axle Nut on Elite 80 (rear)

Post by pennstump »

I have a 1998 Elite 80 with 3,200 original miles on it. I had a rear tire blowout and now I'm attempting to remove the rear wheel. I don't believe it's ever been off the bike since the factory.

I removed the exhaust just fine, but so far I have PB Blasted the rear axle nut over the past 2 days, heated the nut with a butane torch to ~230F, used an air impact wrench (good for ~250 ft-lbs), used a breaker bar, and used said breaker bar with a 4 ft steel pipe on the end of it for additional leverage. Nothing. The nut is still stubbornly there.

One of the problems is since the tire is flat the wheel will eventually spin with enough force. So, I've had people sit on the back and I've leaned on it without any success - the flat tire just stubbornly moves on the floor. I've considered using tie-down straps to hold the wheel to a mounting point on the bike, but I have a bad feeling that whatever I attach the strap to on the bike (stand, forks, etc.) will just get broken in my efforts.

Has anyone had this problem and come up with a solution? I have ordered a 450 ft-lbs electric impact wrench that'll show up in a few days, but I can't think of anything else besides cutting the nut off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1998 Honda Elite 80
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
2007 Suzuki SV1000S
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Seized Axle Nut on Elite 80 (rear)

Post by flybd5_juan »

Cut it off and get a new nut and axle. Next time put anti seize compound on the thread.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
pennstump
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by pennstump »

For anyone else ever in this predicament, the more powerful impact wrench still did nothing since there's not enough friction holding the tire to the ground. BUT, I was able to break the nut with the breaker bar and pipe extension once I hooked a ratchet strap from one of the ringlets in the wheel to the center stand.

I clean up the threads with the PB Blaster and lubed both parts with white silicone grease (anti-seize). The nut is surprisingly fine (no stripping of the points).
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1998 Honda Elite 80
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
2007 Suzuki SV1000S
fleaflop
n00b
n00b

Post by fleaflop »

Great Tip!.. to stabilize the rear wheel with the strap to the kick stand.... I worked on mine for 3 hours.... strapped the wheel to the stand, got a cheater bar on my 15" 1/2' drive breaker bar, with one grunt, it broke free.... thanks!...
Ideas are like gold... If I can add one thing,.... If your having this problem. please! please! do yourself a favor and get a 6 point socket. think its 24mm. Once you strip the corners, your in deep do do!