1988 Elite top speed & kit questions

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
mjivin
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

1988 Elite top speed & kit questions

Post by mjivin »

Hi All,
I'm newish to scooting (been riding for about a year) and have a couple questions about my 1988 Honda Elite 50. It runs really well but my max speed on level ground is 32-33 mph. Not a huge deal except the cars behind me on 35 mph roads get a little impatient. So my first question is, anything "easy" i can do to increase the top speed?

Second, my friend who's very into scooters sent me this: https://www.motoritec.com/01_shop/01_de ... SYM%2050cc

Would love to get your thoughts on installing the above kit. Difficulty, effect on performance, etc. If i do install that kit it recommends installing a big carburetor & performance exhaust. Thoughts and recommendations on those would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks!
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: 1988 Elite top speed & kit questions

Post by tiny »

Which model of the Elite do you have?
Before you head towards a BBk pull off the side cover to the CVT and check to see if it is restricted. Start there if there is a restriction on the CVT remove then pull off the exhaust(there might be a washer to restrict flow) and re-jet the carb 89-90jet I believe (all 3 were restricted by Honda for the US) and you should gain 5-10MPH easily. My '89 EliteR would go 66KPH/41MPH all day long with no mods what so ever and I couold have hit 70/44 with one simple no coist mod.
if you want to go larger then 70cc I would recommend upgrading the OEM crank to a stronger aftermarket one. As anything more then 70cc will put too much stress on the OEM crank causing major engine failure.
Good Luck
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
mjivin
n00b
n00b

Post by mjivin »

Model SA50? That sound correct?
Thanks so much! This will be my weekend project!
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny »

SA50 look at the three restrictions that I mentioned then go BBk.
Just remember to Post your results.
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

When my 50cc Spree wasn't fast enough, I bought an Aero 125, when that wasn't fast enough, I got an Elite 150, then moved up to an Elite 250, then to a Ninja 250 powered Grom, then to a Suzuki GSXR 1000.
Modifying a scooter can be fun, but buying a bigger scooter is my preference.
It is my opinion that stock and unmodified is more reliable, runs better and has higher resale value.
Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have fun doing it and the results are positive.
As always, this is just my opinion and some folks will disagree.
And for what it is worth, the Spree did 33 and the GSXR does over 180 and is stock.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
kevinv710
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by kevinv710 »

Johnniespeed wrote:When my 50cc Spree wasn't fast enough, I bought an Aero 125, when that wasn't fast enough, I got an Elite 150, then moved up to an Elite 250, then to a Ninja 250 powered Grom, then to a Suzuki GSXR 1000.
Modifying a scooter can be fun, but buying a bigger scooter is my preference.
It is my opinion that stock and unmodified is more reliable, runs better and has higher resale value.
Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have fun doing it and the results are positive.
As always, this is just my opinion and some folks will disagree.
And for what it is worth, the Spree did 33 and the GSXR does over 180 and is stock.
Great post Johnniespeed......