Can I make a honda metropolitan for the freeway?

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
lbaman
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Can I make a honda metropolitan for the freeway?

Post by lbaman »

I really like the style of the honda metropolitan but it only reaches about 40mph. Could i swap it for a 150cc engine? Where can I get that done?
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Can I make a honda metropolitan for the freeway?

Post by flybd5_juan »

It will likely cost you more to make a bigger engine fit correctly than to simply buy a larger scooter.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

Just so much easier to just buy a 150 or 250 scooter. Yes you could do it, but the time you invest and the money you invest and the finished product would make this project not worth it.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
skipper20
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by skipper20 »

Even if you could, a 150cc engine wouldn't get you up to freeway speeds. You'd need 250cc minimum to ride safely. Your little Metro with its small body and 10" tires is strictly for city streets and college campuses.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro Red
'02 Honda Elite 80 Black
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by tiny »

I agree with most if you want to go highway speeds you'll need a 150cc min with 250cc and up preferable. Trying to make a Met go those speeds is too expensive and it would be cheaper to just buy a 150cc or larger scooter
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Even 250cc is not a good idea with a scooter on a freeway. That will barely get you up to highway speeds but leave you with no reserve for passing, so your only strategy to avoid things is braking. Minimum freeway requirement for a variomatic drive scooter IMO is 400cc.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.