Honda NH80 Low compression issues

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
yeoruka
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Honda NH80 Low compression issues

Post by yeoruka »

Hi there.

I bought my little nh80 about 6 months back and have been slowly getting it back to a commutable state.
I've replaced fuel lines, reed gasket, cylinder gaskets, piston and rings and exhaust.

This scooter has a history of low compression, I managed to get it up to around 170psi, however a couple of weeks back I was riding down a steep hill ( it takes about 4 minutes to get down ), I don't think I had the throttle open at all and about halfway down I opened up a little which then was followed by a bang and it sounded like it went high revs on a low gear. After that I had low compression again and now it doesn't idle, but it is still running.

I took the engine out to check for damage. Checked the piston, cylinder, gaskets, reed valves etc and it seemed fine. I did a compression test on the cylinder and it came in at around 80psi. I then poured a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder, re-tested and it came out at 180psi. Does this mean I need to replace the head gasket and/or skim the cylinder head (I saw a video of someone using cutting compound on a glass sheet)?

I live in NZ, so getting parts in can be expensive and time consuming so if I can avoid spend $25 to get a head gasket sent over I'd prefer it ha.
Bear 45/70
Scooter Legend
Scooter Legend
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Honda NH80 Low compression issues

Post by Bear 45/70 »

You need at least new rings and a good hone job on the cylinder if you are lucky, otherwise you will need an oversized piston and a cylinder bore and hone job.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80
'83 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80
'84 Aero 80

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125
'85 Aero 50