Engine swapping a 1988 Yamaha Razz

Salient/Riva 50, Beluga/ Riva 80, Razz, Jog, Vino, C3, BWs and Zuma scooters.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Engine swapping a 1988 Yamaha Razz

Post by Fast192 »

September 9th i Purchased a 1988 Yamaha Razz with 1656 miles on it. At this moment It has 1911. I am in love with the thing, but i'd like to be able to drive to friends and other places in different towns. So I was wondering if a 1990 Yamaha Jog CG50 engine would easily bolt right into my Razz, its basically the same engine except the Jog has a proper CVT right? And would my carb and exhaust be compatible with the jogs engine?

Point me towards any helpful posts by others or websites as well!

Sidenote, I would also be possibly installing a big bore kit and regearing it. Keep in my mind this is my first moped/scooter. I can easily work on my car but this is all mostly new to me

EDIT: I'm just asking for advice, I already have the 1990 Yamaha Jog CG50 minerelli engine. I'm just only really able to work on it thursdays and maybe fridays.
Last edited by Fast192 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiny
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Engine swapping a 1988 Yamaha Razz

Post by tiny »

Look into a BW's/Zuma(96-01) engine swap parts are easier to find then for the earlier Jogs. Yes they are roughly the same but a little different at the same time. I believe everything should bolt into place but you would need a longer rear shock with the BW's engine and maybe need to remove a little of the rear body as well. Best of luck
KYMCO ZX50 & Super9, '13 KYMCO Movie 150
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

tiny wrote:Look into a BW's/Zuma(96-01) engine swap parts are easier to find then for the earlier Jogs. Yes they are roughly the same but a little different at the same time. I believe everything should bolt into place but you would need a longer rear shock with the BW's engine and maybe need to remove a little of the rear body as well. Best of luck
But what if I had ALL the parts I needed to do an engine swap with a 1990 jog engine?
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

How far are you on this swap ? Can you post pictures of the progress ?
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

I actually technically have not started, I am in the process of breaking down the engine completely de-greasing and cleaning it. I'm very busy though so it's going to take me forever. I bought the engine last week and it arrived yesterday. They said it "ran" when they first had it but I'm not that naive. So i'm making sure there isn't any rust inside the cylinder head and such. The engine's pretty rust free for it being 28 years old. The main amount of rust is on the cylinder head.
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

You are taking out the original 50cc engine and installing a 50cc engine from a different scooter ?

Are both engines made by Minerelli ?

Big bore kit does not add much power.

Yamaha TMAX scooter engine has 500cc and does 100 mph.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

Yes, The 1988 Yamaha Razz has a single speed transmission while the Yamaha jog has a proper CVT and the 1988-1991 engine was the same vertical Minarelli engine as the yamaha razz but it was tuned to go a bit faster(38-40mph).(the 1992-2001 Yamaha jog had the horizontal Minarelli engine, which would have been a slightly more difficult swap) I'm not looking for a crazy speed increase I just want to be able to not hold up traffic...and to be honest a bit more speed would be fun.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

Look, I have no idea what I am doing, but learnings half the fun right? I wanted to get as similar an engine to the one in my razz as possible because it wouldn't be too hard, but it would be a great start to learn from.

EDIT: Posted a pic of the Razz from almost a month ago, I've taken off the non-factory stickers since then and clean it up a bit.
Attachments
20180909_133241.jpg
20180909_133241.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 11090 times
Last edited by Fast192 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

Johnniespeed wrote:You are taking out the original 50cc engine and installing a 50cc engine from a different scooter ?

Are both engines made by Minerelli ?

Big bore kit does not add much power.

Yamaha TMAX scooter engine has 500cc and does 100 mph.
Going 100mph in a Razz is ludicrous to even think about, the moped is way too small to even think about going that speed.(In my opinion)
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

My Spree would go 33, my Aero 125 would go 57, my Elite 150 would go 64, My Elite 250 would go 76, my Ninja powered Grom will do 90 and my GSXR 1000 will go over 180 ( probably faster but I quit at 180)
I like going fast and that is why your project has me interested.
Keep posting pics of your progress.
Adding a variator is a good thing and worthwhile, a big bore kit on a two stroke will be disappointing and add very little if any increase.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

Johnniespeed wrote:My Spree would go 33, my Aero 125 would go 57, my Elite 150 would go 64, My Elite 250 would go 76, my Ninja powered Grom will do 90 and my GSXR 1000 will go over 180 ( probably faster but I quit at 180)
I like going fast and that is why your project has me interested.
Keep posting pics of your progress.
Adding a variator is a good thing and worthwhile, a big bore kit on a two stroke will be disappointing and add very little if any increase.
Can you recommend a variator?
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

I thought the whole point of putting in the Jog engine was to add the variator ?? ( also known as CVT)
A continuously variable transmission or CVT uses a variable primary pulley and variable secondary pulley.
Scooter guys refer to this as a variator, snowmobile guys call this the primary and secondary, minibike and go kart guys call this the torque converter.
Whatever you call it, the device allows torque multiplication at low speeds, it will increase acceleration from a stop and as RPM ( and speed) increase the device up-ratio's and allows a higher top end speed.
I hope you can resize and add some pictures as the project advances.
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

Johnniespeed wrote:I thought the whole point of putting in the Jog engine was to add the variator ?? ( also known as CVT)
A continuously variable transmission or CVT uses a variable primary pulley and variable secondary pulley.
Scooter guys refer to this as a variator, snowmobile guys call this the primary and secondary, minibike and go kart guys call this the torque converter.
Whatever you call it, the device allows torque multiplication at low speeds, it will increase acceleration from a stop and as RPM ( and speed) increase the device up-ratio's and allows a higher top end speed.
I hope you can resize and add some pictures as the project advances.
Oh I didn't realize that was another name for the CVT quite new list and do not know all the terms
Fast192
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by Fast192 »

Quick Update; Will edit this and insert some pics of the 1990 Yamaha Jog CG50 engine later today. Waiting on exhaust to arrive Monday, my exhaust seems to be the only thing that isn't compatible with the engine. I finally was able to clean up the engine a bit Tuesday night and the good news is....the engine has 1560 miles on it (The seller is also selling a bunch of the same Yamaha Jogs parts(including the speedometer), so I'm leaning to 51% in believing them when they said the engine was running when they had it) While I wait for the exhaust. Today and tomorrow I will be repainting my Razz. One of the factory stickers has blue and white around the letters in "Razz" Decided to go with blue down the middle of the fairing and cowling and maybe blue along the edges with the rest white. Red is just not the bright a color when you're out riding in the middle of the night. The engine I bought came with the rear brake shoes and since the rear brake shoes on mine seem to have way more left than the front(gonna check next monday/tuesday) when I attempt to put in the engine) I'm going to put the brake shoes that came with the engine in the front since they are basically paper thin.
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

Do you have to make adaptor plates to bolt the engine to the frame ?
Do you have to fabricate a wire harness to adapt the two systems ?
I hope we can see some pictures of this swap, I really enjoy fabrications and swaps.