86 elite 150 Deluxe speedometer

Aero 125, Elite 125, Elite 150, SH150i, Elite 250, Helix, Big Ruckus, Reflex, Silverwing and PCX 125 / 150, Forza
Trix13440
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

86 elite 150 Deluxe speedometer

Post by Trix13440 »

Hey guys, recently bought this scooter and the speedometer doesn't work. Contacted the seller who mentioned he pulled the speedo cable for a "whining noise" it was making, and offered to give me the cable when he found it (he did).
So I tossed it on, made sure the hub connection was nice and snug, and screwed the top end into my dashboard, once I figured out how to access it.
Nothing.
Backed out the top end, and spun the tire by hand to confirm the cable wasn't broken, and it was spinning merrily along just fine.
So I thought maybe he gave me the wrong cable, he had a bunch of scooters so it was possible. Took the cable, and the dash to a bike parts place nearby, and they powered up the dash (digital), and attempted spinning the socket the cable goes into with a drill, it registered no change from, 0mph.
After stalking every autoparts store in town looking for just a plain aftermarket speedo I could bolt on, (and failing), I decided to try and tear about the dash and see if I could fix whatever broke in the guts of it.
Tore it apart, got eyeballs on the odometer and using a drill on the cable, was able to confirm that the inner workings of it, were all fine. Rolled it 1/10 of a mile on the drill, gears all spun smooth, still 0mph showing.

What am I missing?
Does the speedo use an electronic signal and not mechanical to determine speed, and if so how do I track down the signal breakage?

Thank you all for your time
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: 86 elite 150 Deluxe speedometer

Post by flybd5_juan »

Did you check the speedometer fuse? It's electrical.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
Trix13440
n00b
n00b

Post by Trix13440 »

The only fuse box I found, was under the hood to the left of the headlight. All fuses in it were good, but none were labelled speedometer. Just headlight, tail light, signals and horn.
Is there another box elsewhere?
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Wait, your speedo is not digital, it is mechanical. ?? If it's inserted properly into the instrument cluster and the speedo doesn't move no matter what, you either have to buy a new instrument cluster on eBay or ?? or take the one you have apart and see why it is not working. There's one on ebay right now for $35. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-Eli ... Sw339elnGV
Trix13440
n00b
n00b

Post by Trix13440 »

No I have the digital dashboard. The scooter is a Deluxe Elite 150cc, the only difference between it and the base model elite is that digital dashboard, and a pop up headlight.
The digital speedo turns on, but doesn't change from 0mph no matter how fast I'm going.
The dash you linked is the base model's dashboard, not mine. If I have to I'll buy that, but I tend to try like hell fixing the parts I have first, before buying replacements
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Ok, I get it now. I can't find anything on how to troubleshoot the digital dashboard. Sorry.
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

There is a reed switch inside the speedometer, it used to be available separately, the odometer is mechanical and should register some distance if you spin the cable long enough.
The reed switch is replaceable separately, but unfortunately it is no longer available. Here is a link and the reed switch is item 12 on that picture. https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... peedometer
The speedometer cable spins a magnet, when it passes by the reed switch, the reed moves and creates a close circuit, then when the magnet moved away the circuit goes back to open circuit, these pulses are fed into the digital display and speed signal is displayed.
My suggestion is to measure the reed switch to determine if it is open circuit all the time, as that is the most likely cause of your issue.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

€11.50 at CMS. https://www.cmsnl.com/products/reed-sw- ... uhAyc9KgVs

Hurry up. There's only one left.
Trix13440
n00b
n00b

Post by Trix13440 »

Just tried, I don't have the $55 free to buy that. Parts cheap, but the shipping is gnarly. Do you guys have a suggestion for an aftermarket speedometer? I don't care at all how it looks as long as it fits the bike, and reads MPH. Found super cheap ones, but all are kph that I've found
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

Did you measure the reed switch with an ohmeter, to determine if the switch opens and closes the circut ?
You could probably cobble up another Honda scooter speedometer to fit, but then you have a hacked up mess.
Why not correctly diagnose the issue, source out whatever part you need, either new or used, install the correct part and have a nice scooter that looks nice ?
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.