Honda Elite 150D Headlight won't close

Aero 125, Elite 125, Elite 150, SH150i, Elite 250, Helix, Big Ruckus, Reflex, Silverwing and PCX 125 / 150, Forza
4thesporty
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Honda Elite 150D Headlight won't close

Post by 4thesporty »

I've been able to clean up and verify the operation of the pop-up headlight on my 86 Elite 150D, mostly.

When I turn the key on the light will pop up as it is supposed to and work great.

When I turn the key off the light does not move. If I slightly turn the emergency knob, the motor will engage and lower it as expected until I turn the key back on and it raises.

What component is failing that is not telling the headlight to retract when I turn off the key? Is this triggered from the headlight relay or the timer?
1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Honda Elite 150D Headlight won't close

Post by flybd5_juan »

4thesporty wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:41 am If I slightly turn the emergency knob, the motor will engage and lower it as expected until I turn the key back on and it raises.
A clue, Sherlock. Clean the knob first, or try changing it. :)
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
4thesporty
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by 4thesporty »

I don't understand.

What does the emergency knob do that is keeping the light up when the key is turned off?
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

4thesporty wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:13 pm I don't understand.

What does the emergency knob do that is keeping the light up when the key is turned off?
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf

Start on page 16-22.
4thesporty
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by 4thesporty »

Thanks for the reply earlier; i had a few other issues that tool precedence over this one that are finished now.

I have the service manual and have used it for most every issue this scooter has thrown at me so far, but i can't tell what is causing this issue.

I have not changed the emergency knob yet (as previously suggested) but i do want to understand what function it has in regard to my issue. I have uploaded a youtube video showing exactly what it is because everyone likes videos, right?

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/bSv9du7Hp1E[/YouTube]
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

The wire diagram is your friend, without it, you are just guessing. It is far too complex for me to describe how to diagnose electrical issues using my keyboard.
The key items are the limit switches, relays and motor. Yes some signal, voltage, ground, or continuity is missing.
My suggestion is to locate a wire diagram, if needed enlarge it to make it easy to read. Then locate someone local who is willing to diagnose this for you.
If you lived near my house, I would diagnose it for a reasonable fee.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
4thesporty
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by 4thesporty »

After going through this again, and replacing the headlight motor with a known good one, and upgrading my DMM to one that is more accurate (Fluke 114) I have found that my timer unit is not passing muster IAW the tech manual's specs.

Does anyone have a source on one of these, my google-fu is coming up empty.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

cmsnl.com