1985 Honda Elite..personality issues

Aero 125, Elite 125, Elite 150, SH150i, Elite 250, Helix, Big Ruckus, Reflex, Silverwing and PCX 125 / 150, Forza
sun99
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

1985 Honda Elite..personality issues

Post by sun99 »

Hi All
Got a 1985 Honda Elite ch 150 12k miles.
That had been sitting for a year
Thanks to all of the wonderful info here I was able to get ger up and running. What fun in summer days.
The problem:
As of the past two weeks.. run one day then stalls the other.. seem like whenever i throttle up sounds like splutter backfires then dies.. idle seem unsteady . Acting like it has it’s own personality!!!

Thus far I changed the usual suspects, intake manifold; new plug:oil;coolant, new petcock, New batttery, all new vacuum lines, fuel line, air filter, coil, i pulled the carb like 10 times and finally broke down and put an aftermarket one in with a new autobystarter i even check the valves using the manual.Ran for a day fine then started again same symptoms. Idles fine but stalls under load.

Im at a loss please help
Goofaroo
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: 1985 Honda Elite..personality issues

Post by Goofaroo »

How well does it run when it does run? Have you ridden it far rough to get it thoroughly up to operating temperature
without a problem? Have you checked for a good strong spark when it won’t start? Have you checked the wiring for possible shorts or corroded ground connections?

Fuel cap vent could be clogged. It’s feasible that the new petcock isn’t working right. It could be ignition related.

How does the inside of the tank look? Was there a lot of debris on the old petcock filter when you removed it?

I had somewhat similar issues with mine recently and it turned out to be the petcock. I would recommend testing yours. Even though it’s new it’s possible it doesn’t work.
sun99
n00b
n00b

Post by sun99 »

When it runs its very smooth
I usually do a 3 mile loop in the neighborhood too scared to go further..
Temp guage goes to 1/2 and stays there or a bit lower
Inside the tank looks super clean not a bit of rust .. all silver.
When i changed the hoses i got a clear fuel line so I can see its filled ..
no flooding carb issues either
I guess I can still try another petcock
For the past two weekends i did my 3 miles not a single hitch..
Today bavk to square one.. got 1/4 mile and it stalled gad to push her home
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

I can only guess you have an air leak somewhere in the intake system.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
sun99
n00b
n00b

Post by sun99 »

Thanks again
For all thoughts.. I think I may have found at least Part of the problem..
I pulled the fuel hose and turned over and barely got any gas..
I started to take tank off again and sure enough the vacuum hose to petcock was pinched between the plastic shelf under the tank..
The moment I unkinked the vacuum
Hose bingo smooth fuel flow!!!! And she started right up.... 3 miles today smooth as silk
Will keep you posted..
this is my first scooter.. I started as a project.. boy it’s been fun and a challenge.. but so far worth every second

Thanks again
Skander
n00b
n00b

Post by Skander »

Thanks for posting the resolution, every bit of troubleshooting info helps. Just got my first 85 Elite too, it's been a fun project.