Need help with Honda '05 Reflex Electrical Problem

Aero 125, Elite 125, Elite 150, SH150i, Elite 250, Helix, Big Ruckus, Reflex, Silverwing and PCX 125 / 150, Forza
staggart
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Need help with Honda '05 Reflex Electrical Problem

Post by staggart »

I need some ideas on a recent first-time electrical problem I had with my '05 reflex. On a 400-mile day trip, about 100 miles in, we had stopped for gas 20 minutes earlier. JRA (Just Riding Along) at moderate speeds, dry conditions, 80 degrees and the bike starts to cut out for a few seconds and then dies completely. A quick survey and I discovered the (lead-acid) battery is almost completely dead (remember, I started the bike 20 min earlier with no problems). Connections tight on battery terminal. I'm thinking battery must have failed internally but after a few minutes, it recovers slightly and is able to slowly crank but not start, so battery probably is not the culprit. All that's left is the charging system or a loose connection. I head to the auto store on 2nd scooter to get jumpers and buy a battery, if they have one (they didn't). After returning, I jump start the bike (instant start) and disconnect the negative lead while it's running to verify charging system. It continues to run fine and headlight is bright, so stator, etc., is OK (at least for the moment). Decide to continue on trip and monitor. Bike ran fine the rest of the day (300+ miles), including multiple starts after gas, etc. So, I need ideas. I am leaning toward a loose connection such that the charging system was disconnected from the system, and the battery ran the electrical system until it was drained almost completely. Can anyone come up with a plausible reason why the charging system would be intermittent - is there a relay somewhere that could have become stuck open? Could the rectifier fail intermittently? The stator? Loose ground? From experience, I know problems just don't fix themselves so this will likely bite me in the bad conditions in the worst location.

All credible ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Need help with Honda '05 Reflex Electrical Problem

Post by flybd5_juan »

Ockham's Razor. Loose connection. And after 42 years in tech and aviation maintenance I can tell you with 100% certainty that some problems do fix themselves when you look at them the right way and strike fear in their hearts.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.