1988 Yamaha razz rear end swap

Talk about anything scooters.
Banksyde
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

1988 Yamaha razz rear end swap

Post by Banksyde »

Hey all! I have a 1988 Yamaha razz with 21,000 miles on it that has seen WAYYY better days. That being said, she runs around 38mph any day and is a ripper. Here’s the problem. Recently things started to go catastrophic. Back brake locked open, muffler mounts cracked off engine case so it’s hanging on by head bolts, kick starter gear stripped, etc. I’ve had it since 2,400 miles and torn it apart over and over again. Stock carb, stock exhaust. I recently acquired another 1988 with 1,600 miles and decided to swap the rear ends at the swing arm bolt (new shock, new trans, new motor, new exhaust). Now here’s my issue, I fully cleaned the carb and made sure all jets were clean, and did the swap in two days, hooked up the wiring harness and everything and she purrs like a kitten. Obviously she smokes a bit because of the oil that was sitting in the old engine, however...I can’t get her to go over 25mph now. I know these things aren’t super fast but she was doing 37-38 (41-42 downhill) no problem before the swap. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It’s got great throttle response, low end is great, but once I reach that 23mph mark it just wont climb in rpm and slowly reaches 25mph (30 downhill max)