Scooter Buying Questions

Talk about anything scooters.
SCOOTOVER
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Scooter Buying Questions

Post by SCOOTOVER »

Hi- I am new to the scooter world, pulled in by a son who needs one to get to work, a nephew who needs one at school, and my love of anything on wheels. I have done some basic research and would like some help from those in the know. One needs 50cc because he doesn't have a license yet, the other one just needs something that isn't "too much".

1. What is a good scooter for tall people? We are all over 6' (one is 6'4"), and have long legs. What will keep us from looking and feeling like praying mantis' on scooters?

2. Are the Chinese scooters worth it for the short term? My son needs a scooter for a few months to bridge until he gets a car and my nephew needs it to finish school, about a year or so. I would conceivably keep one of them afterwards because it would be very useful where I live. I am generally against Chinese steel having had every thing from wrenches to handles, snap under force (the tire iron was truly frightening).

3. What is the best way to get one for a good price? CraigsList or ???

As an FYI, the parties in need are on opposite coasts: one is in South Carolina (near Greenville) and the other is in the SF Bay Area.

Thank you!
tortoise
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: Scooter Buying Questions

Post by tortoise »

SCOOTOVER wrote:good scooter for tall people
The Znen Motorino Supremo has outboard foot positions.

SCOOTOVER
n00b
n00b

Post by SCOOTOVER »

tortoise wrote:
SCOOTOVER wrote:good scooter for tall people
The Znen Motorino Supremo has outboard foot positions.
Thanks. Is there a website? I am old school; I prefer to read not watch.
Gentric
n00b
n00b

Post by Gentric »

:arrow: I recently purchased two Dong Fang 200 cc motor scooters new in 2014. They are very inexpensive and very fun and reliable. Costing one forth the price of a Honda Helix the 200 cc Dong Fang was by far my best purchase. I bought them from a scooter company on the west coast.
tortoise
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by tortoise »

Gentric wrote:recently purchased two Dong Fang 200 cc motor scooters
Model(s)? Are these GY6-B engines with the 2-bolt valve cover? AC or DC-CDI ignition systems?
Gentric
n00b
n00b

Post by Gentric »

:| The Scooters are GY6 4 stroke both ac and dc CDI ignition systems SCOOTER MODEL MC-D 200B.
drakhen
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by drakhen »

awful. buy something made in taiwan for cheaper.
tortoise
Step Thru Star
Step Thru Star

Post by tortoise »

Gentric wrote:SCOOTER MODEL MC-D 200B.
MC-D200B . . 168.9cc