1985 Aero 80 OEM Carb float

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

1985 Aero 80 OEM Carb float

Post by dr_rock »

I've been reading through a ton of good stuff on this sub forum related to the Aero scooters. I just bought me first Scoot after almost 40 years of riding motorcycles. I love it so far!
The guy I bought it from bought it from a farmer and flipped it. He cleaned the carb out, but looks like there is still a carb issue. The bike runs and idles pretty well. The main issue I want to resolve is cold starting. Before I bypass the bystarter with a manual choke (I found Bear's thread on how to do that), I verified that the Petcock is functioning properly by doing the suck on the vacuum hose test. I also checked the float level in the carb and it did NOT pass that test. The float level rides about an 10mm above the bowl gasket. I have read that the float's don't offer any adjustment. Can some recommend a good and not too expensive way to rememdy this?
Could this contribute to my hard cold starts?
Cheers!
Last edited by dr_rock on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: 1985 Aero 80 hard cold start

Post by dr_rock »

Looks like the floats for the 1985 Aero 80 carb are hard to find. I looked up the part number via a honda part locater and the part number comes up as GC7-004. I did get a hit ebay for that but it has a longer part number and says it's for an Aero 125 carb. Anyone know if those two carbs use the same float?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NH125-FL ... m570.l1313
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Re: 1985 Aero 80 OEM Carb float

Post by dr_rock »

Just thought I would write an update on this.
I took my carb off and apart last week. I installed the larger 90 main jet. I cleaned the idle jet and seeding area below as well as other areas on the carb. It was running well before but it would leak gasoline through the carb overflow when sitting with a full fuel tank.
While the carb was apart I also applied a little heat to the float's tabs and gently bent the float so that it was 8mm from the carb bowl.
The engine seems to be running better now and no more fuel overflowing with a full tank yet (it has only seen 1 fill since).

I also put in lighter rollers. The original rollers were in decent shape (3,000 miles) but had a little flat spots. I believe the original ones are 18grams a piece and the replacements I put in were Dr. Pulley 15gm 18x14. So I like the fact that I have more power going up inclines, but I lost about 4mph top speed. I'm now seeing around 35mph on a flat surface where as before I could get close to 40mph (on the instrument panel). I'm thinking of going back to the OEM rollers. While I was in there I got rid of all the grease based on what others had recommended. So I probably lost a little weight from that as well.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Your carb problem is likely a broken gasket in the float screw. If it lets the fuel out then it will take time for the bowl to fill up again when starting, hence the hard start. The gasket is tiny, at the end of the screw and is easily damaged if the screw is too tight. You can also just plug the vent hole in the bottom bowl. It could also be that the fuel valve is stuck open, it operates on vacuum from the engine. Changing jets won't help. Changing the electric choke will also help. Test it by plugging it into a 12v battery and see if it slowly extends over a minute or two. If it doesn't you need a new one, they're just about $10 or something like that. Get the maintenance manual and it will save you the grief from making a lot of unnecessary changes to fix simple problems.

35 mph on an Aero 80 is about right. You might be able to squeeze a little more, but not much. You should stick to the correct vario weights.
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock »

Thank you for the tip on the broken or maybe missing gasket on the float screw. I did not see this when I had the carb apart. I will have to look this up in the manual or in a parts locater.
I already bypassed the bystarter with a manual choke, but I think the auto choke in retrospect was working properly as it still takes roughly the same amount of time to start after sitting for a few days.

I might switch back to the original rollers as I miss that extra 3mph, but it definitely pulls my 240 lb self better up hills now.
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock »

any idea what the part number would be for that tiny gasket?

do you mean there should be a tiny gasket on the float pin (that holds the float in)?
float.JPG
float.JPG (14.33 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/19 ... 9#sch12467
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

dr_rock wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm any idea what the part number would be for that tiny gasket?

do you mean there should be a tiny gasket on the float pin (that holds the float in)?
float.JPG

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/19 ... 9#sch12467
No, I mean all the way at the bottom of the carb. There is a vent that should have a tube that just ends away from the carb, and a screw. If you unscrew it you will see that it has a tiny gasket on the groove at the end of the screw. If the gasket is broken, missing or squashed, it will do exactly what you said, leak fuel from the bottom through the overflow vent. When you stop the bike, the fuel will continue to leak until it empties, and it's hard to start because the bowl has to fill up again.

The gasket can only be obtained by ordering a full gasket kit for the Dellorto PHVB-PHVD carbs (I am assuming you still have the original carb).

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellort ... asket-set/

...or you can try and find a matching one but the dimensions are unusual and if you get it wrong it will leak again.
carbbowl.png
carbbowl.png (181.55 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock »

Ah thank you so very much! This is much easier to check then pulling the carb..., and I bet that is my culprit. Cheers to you!

Hopefully I can find a US based site that also offers that kit. Sounds like Honda does not and yes it is the original carb still.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

dr_rock wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:37 pm Ah thank you so very much! This is much easier to check then pulling the carb..., and I bet that is my culprit. Cheers to you!

Hopefully I can find a US based site that also offers that kit. Sounds like Honda does not and yes it is the original carb still.
Honda does not make carburetors. This can only be obtained through Dellorto if you have one of their carbs, or Mikuni if you got lucky and have one of their carbs. You can order it from that link, the package fits in an envelope and should cost very little in shipping.

In the US you can order the kit for the Dellorto carb from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/DELLORTO-Dellort ... B01N8RO2VU
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock »

thanks again. I thought all 85 NH 80s had Keihen carbs, so again thank you for the education. I am guessing the carbs are very similar and the only way to find out which one I have is to look up the carb id or maybe the brand is stamped on it?
here's a pic of mine from when I had it off.
carb.jpg
carb.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6870 times
Attachments
float2.JPG
float2.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6870 times
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Do the letters PB that i see in the bottom image have more after that? What identifiers or other letters are on the carb? Could be a smaller Dellorto but not sure.
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock »

I will take another look after work. I think it might be a Keihen.
here is another photo and it looks like I do have a little gasket in place. I cleaned it and put the drain screw back in and tightened it. Fingers crossed this will take care of it.
I love this scooter, but I may sell it as there is nice looking 1985 Elite 150 for sale with under 2k miles.
Attachments
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG (2.75 MiB) Viewed 6858 times
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 6858 times
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Ok so you don't have a Dellorto or Mikuni carb. Somebody must have installed a different carb, because you also don't have the bystarter/electric choke.
dr_rock
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by dr_rock »

No, I'm pretty sure it's a stock carb. This is a US based Aero 80 and I believe they have the Keihen carb. It has the bystarter but I have bypassed it.
The carb is identical to the one in the shop manual for the 1985 US Aero 80.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

My apologies, if that's the case I can't help you. The screw in the picture is different in my Dellorto carb, the gasket is near the tip, not at the beginning. At any rate, the good news is that you can seal off the vent with a cap and it should not hurt anything. That is how I run my 125.