elite 150 engine number ???

Aero 125, Elite 125, Elite 150, SH150i, Elite 250, Helix, Big Ruckus, Reflex, Silverwing and PCX 125 / 150, Forza
jerryz450
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

elite 150 engine number ???

Post by jerryz450 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Anybody know where the engine number is located?
Went to title the scooter & need the # for the title transfer
Thanks

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: elite 150 engine number ???

Post by Dan Durston » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:34 am

Welcome to the site. The VIN should be in a couple places. It should be near the bottom of the drive cover/swingarm. Look just under the cover and it should be stamped to the swingarm case. This area normally gets really crusted with crud so it can be hard to see.

The VIN will also be on the main frame somewhere. I'm fuzzy on the Elite 150's though. It might be on the side of the floorboard, or perhaps you need to remove the front cover (where you access the fuses) and it might be stamped on the frame tube in there. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.
Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus

jerryz450
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jerryz450 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks Dan
I have the VIN number on the title & located it on the frame.
The DMV needs the engine #'s ???
I'll need to scrub a few years of grease / oil off the cases, then maybe I can find the #'s I need.
Will look under the swingarm tonight.
Maybe someone else has seen the #'s, or has an idea where to look.
Jerry

GVH
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by GVH » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:25 am

Are you in the UK. The only place I knew of that records engine numbers was the UK. It would be smarter to do it here but then they would catch all the people stuffing bigger motors in 600cc frames for cheap insurance.

jerryz450
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jerryz450 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Nope not from the UK
From Minneapolis, MN. USA

They might even catch a few bad people or deter them from stealing other people's stuff

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:22 am

Here's a picture I have laying around which shows the engine # location on my old Ruckus. This is where Honda scooter engine numbers are normally found but they are often hard to find and read because this spot collects road crud.

Scooters Owned: 2003 Ruckus, 2006 Ruckus, 1983 Yamaha Beluga 80, 2007 Vespa LX 150, 2009 Yamaha BWS 125, 2008 Ruckus

jerryz450
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jerryz450 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Got the title transfered - thanks for the help!

Now the problem is something to do with the choke / bystarter???
The original - what I was told? is broke ,.....the needle somehow busted off.
The previous owner bought another carb ( some off brand generic) , which he said worked,...but the scooter was 10mph slower.
When I bought it from him, he had the generic choke in the Keihen carb.
He had to spray starting fluid in order to run, & once it warmed, it ran decent.

I got it home last week, took the carb off, cleaned it thoroughly
Ordered a new choke off E-bay = $25 & (supposedly 100% satisfaction guaranteed to work)
removed the gas tank
drained the gas
Changed the spark plug
installed the new choke unit,....which does not work at all
or barely idles, go to give it gas & it stalls out.

I have tried the new choke needle in the (factory housing assembly???)
switched back to the set up as I bought it
&
Now nothing seems to work at all???

Went to Honda Dealer today & a new choke assembly is $85 --- ouch!!!

What to do now? Anybody else have experience with this choke unit? I'm thinking the only option left is to buy the dealer's $85 unit?

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:55 pm

jerryz450 wrote:Got the title transfered - thanks for the help!

Now the problem is something to do with the choke / bystarter???
The original - what I was told? is broke ,.....the needle somehow busted off.
The previous owner bought another carb ( some off brand generic) , which he said worked,...but the scooter was 10mph slower.
When I bought it from him, he had the generic choke in the Keihen carb.
He had to spray starting fluid in order to run, & once it warmed, it ran decent.

I got it home last week, took the carb off, cleaned it thoroughly
Ordered a new choke off E-bay = $25 & (supposedly 100% satisfaction guaranteed to work)
removed the gas tank
drained the gas
Changed the spark plug
installed the new choke unit,....which does not work at all
or barely idles, go to give it gas & it stalls out.

I have tried the new choke needle in the (factory housing assembly???)
switched back to the set up as I bought it
&
Now nothing seems to work at all???

Went to Honda Dealer today & a new choke assembly is $85 --- ouch!!!

What to do now? Anybody else have experience with this choke unit? I'm thinking the only option left is to buy the dealer's $85 unit?
Hmm.....seems like a pretty clear carb problem. It could something else like a clogged exhaust or soaked air filter but I agree that very likely this is a carb issue.

I'm just thinking as I'm typing here.....this sounds like more of a main jet problem than a choke problem. With a bad choke you have a hard time getting it started. With a clogged main jet, it might start but it sputters out when you give it throttle because doing so adds air but not gas. I would go back to the setup you had when you were able to get it started and barely idling and work from there. Are you 100% sure you got the jets cleaned? A poor idle could be caused by a clogged/partially clogged slow jet. Another long shot is your fuel filter may be clogged with crud so only a wee bit of fuel is getting through.

One possibly helpful approach is to jump start it with your car if you can't get it started. Doing so will crank the engine over about 2x as fast so it's easier to get started. It may be a case of built up crud in the cylinder from years of running poorly is making it hard to start. If you can get it started, I would let it idle for a while (ie. 15 minutes) so that you get max compression, a warm engine and the choke will be off because the engine will be hot enough. If it doesn't run okay then, then you know you have a problem besides the choke. If you solve that, it will also probably make it easier to start and the choke may not be an issue.

jerryz450
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by jerryz450 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:31 am

I've ordered new air filter last week.
Pretty sure the problem is the choke here? Every combination has different results, but the main issue seems to be starting. In oreder to run it needs a shot of starting fluid.
I do agree with your thoughts of the main still being clogged? Unfortuately I am stuck with the main exactly where it's at & the unseen condition it is in. When I removed the carb I discovered the straight slot head of the main was chipped & not removable. I have thoughts of maybe drilling it out,...but that is a LAST RESORT & I have a few mechanic buddies that I would ask them to do it.

Thanks
Jerry

Dan Durston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan Durston » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:30 am

That sucks that the main jet isn't easily removable. You might be able to get it out with a screw extractor that has reverse threads. So you would screw that into the soft brass and as it screws in, it would loosen the jet hopefully. This would definately wreck the jet but you could get another from Honda for about $5.