1995 Honda elite 80 wont start

Aero 50, Aero 80, Elite 50, Elite, Elite SR/LX, Elite 80, Gyro, Spree, Dio, Ruckus, Metro/Jazz and the 108cc Elite
Jjttaaxx
n00b
n00b
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

1995 Honda elite 80 wont start

Post by Jjttaaxx »

I was driving my elite when it just stopped running. I asked r/scooters on reddit what could cause this and it was suggested my petcock needed replacing. Ordered petcock and installed, still not running. I have tested my spark plug, its firing. I can tell fuel is getting to the carb as when I open the drain screw fuel comes out of the drain line. I adjusted the valves to .003 per the service manual. I’m not mechanically inclined and it has been a learning experience just getting to this point. I’m at a bit of a loss what to do next and hoping for some suggestions.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master
To prevent spam, enter the year 'modern' scooters were first sold in North America (hint: 1982): 1982

Re: 1995 Honda elite 80 wont start

Post by flybd5_juan »

If you are not mechanically inclined, why not take it to a mechanic? Reddit is not a repair shop, it's more like a place for people who fancy themselves telepathic mechanics...
A black hole marks the spot <insert imaginary deity here> divided by zero.
Jjttaaxx
n00b
n00b

Post by Jjttaaxx »

Well I obviously want to save money and so far I’ve been able to use the web and YouTube for maintenance and repairs.
Johnniespeed
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by Johnniespeed »

You have succeeded in saving money, this is a great victory, success is yours, however the goal was to get the scooter running.

There is a Honda dealership in every major city, they have factory trained mechanics, who have spent thousands of dollars on tools and education. Perhaps you could get a job there, buy tools, attend schools and develop your skills.

Or maybe, just maybe, you could give them a little money and they would help you fix the scooter.
The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.
I have a Ninja powered Grom and a GSXR 1000.
Jjttaaxx
n00b
n00b

Post by Jjttaaxx »

I have so far enjoyed working on my scooter, it’s not a very complicated machine. I’ve hit a wall on what I should try next and I was hoping for some advice what might cause the problem I’ve encountered.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

Read the service manual. It's on this web site. Long distance/remote mechanical help doesn't work when the descriptions are so vague. I get that you are not mechanically inclined, but since you're not, this will not work because you cannot describe your problem in sufficient mechanical detail. The manual has troubleshooting guides.
Goofaroo
Twist 'n Pro
Twist 'n Pro

Post by Goofaroo »

Jjttaaxx wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am I have so far enjoyed working on my scooter, it’s not a very complicated machine. I’ve hit a wall on what I should try next and I was hoping for some advice what might cause the problem I’ve encountered.
Sorry that you came here and didn’t receive any guidance. If you haven’t moved to another forum and still haven’t resolved your issue I can offer a potential solution.

If your bike has spark and fuel it should start. Verify that you have spark. If so, pull the spark plug and drizzle about a half a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder. Put the plug back in and see if it fires up and runs for a few seconds. If not, I suspect that your cam chain has jumped time. See your service manual for a step by step procedure to verify this and to correct it.

Good luck and if you’re still on this forum please see this thread through to a resolution.
RudyGT
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by RudyGT »

Goofaroo wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 am
Jjttaaxx wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am I have so far enjoyed working on my scooter, it’s not a very complicated machine. I’ve hit a wall on what I should try next and I was hoping for some advice what might cause the problem I’ve encountered.
Sorry that you came here and didn’t receive any guidance. If you haven’t moved to another forum and still haven’t resolved your issue I can offer a potential solution.

If your bike has spark and fuel it should start. Verify that you have spark. If so, pull the spark plug and drizzle about a half a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder. Put the plug back in and see if it fires up and runs for a few seconds. If not, I suspect that your cam chain has jumped time. See your service manual for a step by step procedure to verify this and to correct it.

Good luck and if you’re still on this forum please see this thread through to a resolution.
This sounds like a good trick to check for good spark.
flybd5_juan
Throttle Master
Throttle Master

Post by flybd5_juan »

It's safer to use start assist spray. You don't have to pull the spark plug for that, just spray it into the carb intake. Also, fuel and spark is not enough, you need air to complete the formula. If the air filter is clogged, for example, it will not start or not run well at all.

To check for spark just pull the spark plug, leave it connected to the spark plug wire and press the starter switch. If you cannot see the spark on the business end of the spark plug then you have an ignition issue.
RudyGT
Rim Kicker
Rim Kicker

Post by RudyGT »

I'm gonna try that assist spray when I check the Elite.